Preparing for IKE

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bassproguy07, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

Hey guys, as most of you in the states know IKE is heading for the Texas coast, and the Houston area is right in its path. Please keep all of the people on the coast of Texas as well as those in and around houston in your prayers. Winds of up to 100 mph and greater are expected to hit my hometown of Katy which is about 30 miles east of downtown houston.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to clarify. Ike is not really project to hit Houston directly. It is projected to hit land far amount south of Houston.

The problem from Ike and Houston is going to be flooding a lot like Alison. Wind wise it is not going to be that bad.

By the time it gets to Kate it will be at most a class 2 and will of lost a lot of its strength.

I would not panic to much if you live in Houston.

I am saying this as some one who grew up just South of Houston in a town called Friendswood and my parents live there. They are not worried about it because it is hitting south of them and they will ride out the storm.

The news is making a big deal over it. Houston is not going to be evacuated because it is going to be rain but not damage wind and storm surge.

3. bassproguy07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

you obviously haven't seen the news, nor know anything about hurricanes. The effects can be felt miles away from the coast 100 miles or something like that. the projected path has shifted closer to houston, and the worst part of the storm, the dirty side, is expected to hit the houston area. We are riding it out here in KATY but its still a serious storm.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yeah, I live about 30 miles north-west of San Antonio, and we're still taking a few precautions. It looks like it's going to be a big one.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm do not insult me. I do know quite a bit about hurricanes. I stated it will be flood damage but that is about it.
    It be be like Alison on Steroids at worse and yes I was there for Alison. I grew up in Houston. Rita had my worried but like I said before I grew up in Houston and I only got out of college last Christmas so it is not like I been away for a while...... I may be in Dallas but I still know about hurricans....

Just I am not going to let you add to the media BS they been putting out. I listen to the news and been keeping an eye on it. I lost a lot of interested in it when I saw it was going to not be hitting Houston head on.

The Media is making it out to be 10x worse than it really is. When they where making a big deal out of a weak class 2 that hit early I stop giving a rats ass on what they had to say. Anything less than a class 3 head to Houston it is not a big deal. Plus with out even an advisor to leave it is not as bad. Just going to be a lot of rain and by a lot yes a lot. If you are in a low line area it will suck... I know quite a few houses in my home town will get flooded because it happen multiple times before. Parents house will be fine.

All in all I do not expect this storm to cause the damage Alison did. I-10 will not have people on jet skis going down it again. It is not going to be that messed up.

Best of luck to you. But do not get freaked out about it. It just be a lot of rain and some 70+ mph winds. I do happen do know you are in the 90 mph wind zone so everything there is designed to handle at least 90mph sustained wind loads.

7. bassproguy07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

when you live in a 50 year old house you tend to worry just a little bit! I was on Galveston island when Allison hit and had family members affected by it.... It is still a day or so off so we don't really know. The eye may not hit Houston directly but sometimes the dirty side can be just as bad. Sorry for I silting you but it's easy to say it's not a big deal when you yourself won't real the wrath!

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can see that. But like I said I do have family there and they are much closer to the coast than you are. Friendswood is located about 1/2 between Houston and Galveston so they will be in a much worse spot. They where there when Alicia hit in 83 (last major hurricane to hit Houston) and their reaction to this is it nothing more than a huge rainstorm. I talk with my mom today and their biggest worry is dealing with the dog being freaked out a little but over all they are just going to enjoy the fact they both are getting a 3 day weekend because they will not have to go into work or on Friday.

As for your house it is 50 years old it has with stood worse storm hitting it directly so it will be fine. Old houses tend to be built better than the new ones any how.

9. marcdlozano macrumors newbie

By any chance , does anyone here know if the Houston Galleria will be closed starting today? Thanks and good luck HTown peeps.

10. bassproguy07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

The galleria should be open today, can't guarantee it will be open Friday and if the storm hits it will definately be closeD Saturday. The latest track for the storm is putting it right on top of Freeport which brings the storm right over Katy! It is looking different every day so all we can do is waif and see

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Alright, who's ready to die on Saturday morning? I know I am!

Picture 4.jpg
    Hurricane laid over Texas so you can get an idea of how big it is. HUGE! 300 miles across! It was stretching from Mexico to Florida yesterday. :-|

and

Picture 5.jpeg
    Just how screwed Houston really is. We're like 50 feet above sea level.

I might set up my MBP and point it out the window during the storm.

Who's hosting a hurricane party? :D

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

13. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm so glad i'm a way that this storm didn't ram into south florida like early plans had it. i have some family in houston and i hope they make it through fine. i also have my cousin that is supposed to be induced into labor on monday, but i think that's going to be earlier now...at least she's already at the hospital with her father who has to work there. good news is that houston, unlike nola and most major cities in florida, is about 40 miles or so inland, but the surge is still going to be bad.

anyone notice how little coverage this storm is getting compared to nola storms? what a joke. this could be the 1900 storm sequel for galveston.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Me.

I'm about 600' above sea-level. ;)

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Ike is already doing heavy damage to us in Ga. Gas prices have jumped .26 cents in one day. :mad:

16. bassproguy07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

we are goingthrough the hell right now and the with ds are only gusting to like 70 or so I can't even imagine how bad katrina winds were being what a cat 5? This is crazy!!!

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Houston is about to get hammered, the main eye wall is working through. Winds are said to be about 100

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, although by landfall it was "only" a cat. three.

19. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

They said on our news that the eye is 60 miles across. That's big!

Hope everyone manages to keep safe.

20. bassproguy07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

houstons centerpoint energy reported that I've 1.8 million without power, and they only have 2mil on their grid. It's been blowing heavily for about the last hour and power is out all over the Katy area. Been up all night, waiting for daylight and calm with ds to come so I can take some pictures. I will definateky post the damage!

21. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

katy...that's where my uncle lives, but he's in the hospital right now for work as i mentioned on an earlier post. and funny story about the power, my folks were talking to him thursday, telling him the power won't go out in the hurricane because 'the lines are underground unlike florida where the lines are not'. i kept telling them that the power will be going out anyway in a hurricane, no matter how the lines are. perhaps they will come back on sooner than they would in florida...that was pretty miserable after wilma, no power or phone for over a week, and some were close to thanksgiving dinner without lights.

for the record, i have never lived in houston, but have visited many times over the years, especially during the time i lived near dallas (they are next on the hit list, they could get hurricane force winds).

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Talked with my parents in Friendwoods (1/2 between Houston and Galveston on I45) and they lost power last night at around 10:40pm and as of 8:00am this morning they are still with out power. No major damage. Few fences blown over and a small tree in the backyard was split.

Most of the damage from this storm is going to be from the storm surge and flooding.

I saw downtown houston skyscrapers had a few windows blown out.

23. todd11231 macrumors newbie

Your an idiot; Houston has major damage, I don't know what national news your watching, but your obviously not watching local news and your parents are without power so they know nothing other than what they can see.

This storm is uprooting trees and blowing roofs off houses as far inland as Conroe at this point. Even though it hit Houston as a category 2 the winds at 400-500 feet up were category 4 strength. Stop running your mouth about how its not doing anything and show some respect.

24. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

he was talking about his folks house. and btw, the national news likes to overblow things to create ratings and panic. i don't think houston is destroyed or anywhere close to that, but there's going to be some messy cleanup. galveston, is another story however, since they are up on the coast.

btw, have you ever lived in a hurricane prone area? just asking.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Interesting, but you lose. [​IMG]

Ours went up 13¢ per litre, which is 50¢ per U.S. gallon. :eek: