Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
First, let me just say its a really sad state of affairs that I am doing this. The fact the Apple has screwed up a backup device so badly, has convinced me never to trust backups to Apple ever again.

My original 500GB TC is at 13 months. So I'm guess I might have 4 months left before the think croaks. Its of course, out of warranty, and I have no Apple Care plan to tie it to.

I am currently also backing up to another USB HD since I will lose everything in the TC once it fails.

I have been considereing two options moving forward, and I was wondering how everyone else have faired with these solutions.

1. AP Extreme with a USB HD. Much cheaper than a TC. And since Apple won't admit to the blantant TC problems and fix their design, new TCs will have the same problem in 17 months. If the AE fries...at least its just the router and cheaper to replace.

2. HP MSS. I have been reading some horror stories however, with getting time machine to play well with the MSS..

Anybody have any recommendations on either?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'd go for option 1, as it's the most likely to work, with the least amount of headache.

Of course, you have no guarantee that the external USB drive you chose will never fail, so if you're that concerned about your backups, you'll still continue to use multiple backup drives.

In regards to Apple fixing designs, sometimes they do, and there's nothing visible to the consumer to indicate it. Remember the Airport Expresses that were dying prematurely a few years ago?

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Hi dmm219,

Just a few things to add...

1. Consider yourself lucky that you're in a position to plan ahead and backup your data now - anticipating the demise of your TC.

2. We will not know if Apple has fixed the design flaws of the OG TC, until the ones purchased now are 18 months old.

3. With Apple's newest TC price on the 1TB - there really isn't a "significant" price savings between buying a AEBS + USB HD or a 1TB TC.

With the above said - I do agree, that knowing what I know now about the TC I would go with the AEBS/USB HD option. :cool:

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Hi dmm219,

2. We will not know if Apple has fixed the design flaws of the OG TC, until the ones purchased now are 18 months old.

3. With Apple's newest TC price on the 1TB - there really isn't a "significant" price savings between buying a AEBS + USB HD or a 1TB TC.

I have read a couple folks online have torn apart the newer TC's and found the exact same PS as in the old TC's. There seems to be pretty good indication that this problem will continue unless apple releases an update to turn on the fan for additional cooling.

Even though the TC prices have come down, if it DOES die, you lose both the HD and the router. Plus, I have lots of spare USB HDs lying around I can use as a backup location for Time Machine, so I wouldn't need to buy another HD. Another option that people have used...since the HD's in the TC's are actually fine, is they are using the same drive in an enclosure with a new Airport Express.

I have a hard time seeing Apple selling many more TC's at this point. If you look at the Apple store, there is literally pages of current 1 star reviews warning people to stay far away from the TC...

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I have read a couple folks online have torn apart the newer TC's and found the exact same PS as in the old TC's. There seems to be pretty good indication that this problem will continue unless apple releases an update to turn on the fan for additional cooling.

Even though the TC prices have come down, if it DOES die, you lose both the HD and the router. Plus, I have lots of spare USB HDs lying around I can use as a backup location for Time Machine, so I wouldn't need to buy another HD. Another option that people have used...since the HD's in the TC's are actually fine, is they are using the same drive in an enclosure with a new Airport Express.

I have a hard time seeing Apple selling many more TC's at this point. If you look at the Apple store, there is literally pages of current 1 star reviews warning people to stay far away from the TC...

Good points. Yeah I'm starting to be pretty bummed I bought a TC. I use mine simply for the Time Machine function - so I'm covered unless both my MBP/Mini die at the same time as my TC. Just another reason to add in redundancy and back up my pics/music/videos/files on another drive.

Hopefully Apple will issue a fix and/or support the TC's out there. :rolleyes:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I assume some people are storing stuff on their TC that is not stored elsewhere? Isn't that dumb? :confused:

The TC should not be a primary storage device... it should simply be a backup of your Mac(s). Thus loosing one or the other will not be a problem.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I assume some people are storing stuff on their TC that is not stored elsewhere? Isn't that dumb? :confused:

The TC should not be a primary storage device... it should simply be a backup of your Mac(s). Thus loosing one or the other will not be a problem.

I think a lot of people also use their TC's as sort of a media and file hub as well. In that case, you should have a seperate back up, to back up the TC :)

I just use it to backup the wife and my macbooks and for as a wireless router and print server.

I won't lose everything unless both the TC and one of the Macbooks go at the same time.

That being said...Apple marketed this as a primary BACK UP device. Any back up device that fails and prevents access to your data after a measly 17 months is pitiful. Apple's response has so far been shameful as back up devices require much higher MTBF than normal hardware. The TC is turning out to have a MTBF much LOWER than normal Apple hardware.

I like Apple, but It will be long time and take lots of convincing before I will ever again trust them with my data...they lost my trust with the TC and how they have handled it. They won't get it back easily. And my TC hasn't even died yet...

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Here's an option - MOZY. I use Mozy and Time Capsule. Mozy is a service with unlimited bandwidth / backup space for $5/month. You can schedule it. So once a day, at midnight, my computer backs up to the mozy servers. So I have a local backup in my time capsule in case my hard drive crashes. If the whole house burns down, then... I have Mozy!

If Mozy servers are destroyed at the same time as my house burns down, then... it just wasn't meant to be... :D

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
That being said...Apple marketed this as a primary BACK UP device. Any back up device that fails and prevents access to your data after a measly 17 months is pitiful.

I don't begrudge anyone who's upset that the thing fails after just 17 months. Any product that's warranted for a year and only lasts one and a half, is very bad form. However, there is absolutely no excuse for losing data. That's simply bad practice for anyone to keep important data in one place whether it's a laptop, desktop, NAS, or TC.

My view is that people should absolutely be up in arms about poor product quality, but they shouldn't be complaining about losing data, that only makes them look dumb. :)

As for your situation... Your idea of a Airport Extreme with USB drive is actually not a bad idea but I would wait and see if you get lucky and perhaps your TC will last until the next rev of Airport products come out at which time they likely will address the failures and your next one might last a very long time. Even if you are unlucky and it fails, as long as you are only using it for TM backups (which is what I do), you won't lose any data.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
My view is that people should absolutely be up in arms about poor product quality, but they shouldn't be complaining about losing data, that only makes them look dumb. :)
I agree 100%! Unfortunately, I think a lot of people "don't get" that hard drives can die... or that bad things can happen... They assume as long as they don't lose the computer, they don't lose the data! I think people are slowly becoming educated about the importance of backups, and that's a good thing!

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Here's an option - MOZY. I use Mozy and Time Capsule. Mozy is a service with unlimited bandwidth / backup space for $5/month. You can schedule it. So once a day, at midnight, my computer backs up to the mozy servers. So I have a local backup in my time capsule in case my hard drive crashes. If the whole house burns down, then... I have Mozy!

If Mozy servers are destroyed at the same time as my house burns down, then... it just wasn't meant to be... :D

Does Mozy backup external/network drives? That's one reason I haven't gotten a remote backup service yet. I keep most of my stuff on a network attached hard drive, and I would like to back that up to offsite.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008

I would think, most people who buy TCs are QUITE aware of the need to back up their data (thats really the only reason most would buy one).

The losing data complaint does not stem from the TC dying (as you will still have you data on your computer), but from a security standpoint. For apple to replace your TC under warranty or Apple care, they force you to send your old TC into apple. They provide no opportunity to transfer data from old to new. The provide no means to wipe the HD. They basically FORCE the consumer to lose direct control over their own data, or lose $400-$500 on a bricked piece of hardware while still under warranty.

There is no way around it, its a shameful response of a company selling a primary backup device, when its device fails while under warranty.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009

Have you tried a restore with Mozy? I was with them but recently switched to iDrive. I kept on having backup issues with Mozy (but never tried a restore). Either way, I think it is a good addition to the backup routine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.