Preparing for new Macbook Pro + USB-C

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingobiatch, Jun 24, 2016.

1. dingobiatch macrumors member

Assuming the new Macbook Pro has USB-C, what would I do about devices I already have that are Thunderbolt 2? For example, I have an OWC Thunderbay (a four drive bay) which is Thunderbolt 2, and I"ll need to hook that up...

2. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the link! Pretty pricey... also everything StarTech I've ever owned has issues with disconnections...

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Alright. So then get the same adaptor from a different vendor. Kanex has also announced one.

4. treekram macrumors 6502a

Some months ago, a poster asked if he/she should buy a Thunderbolt or DP monitor and at that time when I looked, there were no available USB-C Thunderbolt3 to DP Thunderbolt2 cables (Kanex has announced one but it was and still isn't available yet). At that time, I thought and said that there could be a not-cheap transition for people with TB1/2 devices to the USB-C/TB3 world. The StarTech adapter cable is $73 at Amazon.

Kanex: https://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Thunde...1-1&keywords=usb-c+to+thunderbolt+2+connector

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

i am thinking the OP is panicking for no reason. I do not believe the new MBPRo will have nothing but USB-C. I hope not and do not think Apple would do this.

6. treekram macrumors 6502a

A new MBP may have other port other than USB-C, but it's 99.9999% certain that it won't have both USB-C with Thunderbolt3 and Thunderbolt2 (DP connector). Given than, there is no other common port type for I/O devices that can reach Thunderbolt2 (20Gb/sec.) speeds. USB-C Gen 2 is 10Gb/sec. So, I think the OP is right to be thinking ahead.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Do not care about thunderbolt as it is of no use to me. I do care about having multiple ports like USB or USB-C plus still want a SD card reader. Do not want to have to carry doggles around with laptop. Also instead of Apple making it so thin, how about making it less thin and give us more battery. I do not want to sacrifice battery size just so they can make the laptop thin, that is stupid to me.

8. treekram macrumors 6502a

Everybody has different needs. You don't have a Thunderbolt device and don't plan on having one. Fine. The OP has a Thunderbolt device that cost $400 without the drives in it. The OP's post did not deal with the issue of what type of ports the new MBP should have, rather what needs to be done to migrate his Thunderbolt device if the new MBP has USB-C with Thunderbolt3. We're trying to address his/her concerns.

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

I would just stay put. Apple will offer Thunderbolt 1/2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter/cable (USB-C connector).

10. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

The internet needs more of you.