Preparing for resale

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by evanskl, Aug 3, 2016.

1. evanskl macrumors newbie

Can someone give me step by step instructions (or point me to a website) on how to securely remove all my personal information from the hard drive of my mac mini with OS 10.11.6. I plan to sell it.

Thank you!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hold CMD+R on startup to boot into OS X Utilities.

Open up Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD (the bottom of the two listed). You may need to right-click and select 'Unlock' to enter your password if it's whited out.

Format the disk. Close Disk Utility.

Select 'Reinstall OS X' and point it to the newly formatted partition.

Done!

3. evanskl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you......here goes!

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Apple has a guide too: https://support.apple.com/HT201065. You should use Internet Recovery (option–command–R) to reinstall the original operating system instead. This is preferred because the buyer has probably not acquired El Capitan yet and could run into problems if they ever need to restore the system. Don’t forget to log out of iMessage, iTunes and iCloud.

Did you use FileVault or full-disk encryption? If not, then you ought to use a secure erase if it is a hard-disk. If it is an Apple-SSD, then you do not have to do this. If you bought your own SSD, then you should look for a method to perform a full-trim.

5. evanskl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok....36 hours later, I have downloaded (Internet Recovery) and it is installing......woohoo!!!

I'm selling this puppy....how do I do I insure this install is good?

6. KALLT macrumors 601

Just install it and boot into it. If it starts with the screen where you have to pick a language, then you are good to go (you can cancel the setup with command–Q and then shut down). You might want to clear the NVRAM as well, in case it stored any data (like Wi-Fi passwords).