Preparing for sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erratikmind, Nov 28, 2009.

1. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I have a early 2009 17" uMBP upgraded to Snow Leopard. Prior to closing the lid to activate sleep mode, is it advisable to leave an application and/or web page in place?

I just recently, in the past week, have been doing this . . . And I was wondering if there might be any adverse effects with this practice.

Thanks in advance for any comments. ;)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With "leave an application and/or web page in place" do you mean keep applications running and letting open windows and applications.... open?

I don't know if it's advisable, but it won't create adverse effects.

That's why sleep mode is there on PCs and Macs, so you can close the computer, let it consume less energy, take it with you somewhere else, without the need to close every application and document.
    It will be there again, when you wake the computer.

All the stuff, that is currently open is stored in the RAM and also some on the HDD (swap files), if a Mac goes to sleep, all the data currently residing in the RAM will be copied to the HDD, in case the battery runs out.
    If you want, you can use SmartSleep to just let the Mac have the data stored in its RAM without copying everything to the HDD, which will let the Mac go to sleep in two seconds instead of 20-30 seconds.