Preparing for the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anastacio, May 15, 2010.

1. Anastacio macrumors regular

So I have put aside a budget for the iPhone next month and these weeks I see myself preparing for the phone. I had an iPhone 1st gen but sold it last year, haven't had the 3G nor 3GS. Thus some questions:

01) I have seen the leaked pictures of the fourth iPhone but don't remember if it'll have a different connector? I am planning to buy the "TeckNet 1900mAH Mobile External Battery" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-190...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273956243&sr=8-15) but want to make sure it fits with the iPhone 4.

02) Planning to buy a Bluetooth headset as well, and as much as they suck the battery out of the device, would this be a good buy (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273957313&sr=8-9) ?

03) I am looking at a lot of apps and games but hearing the iPhone 4 will have a higher resolution and a 3.4" screen, will they look right on the next phone? I'm sure they'll be compatible but will they look smudged out like on the iPad? Will the developers update the apps to support the higher resolutions you think? Can I safely buy the apps/games now and use them on the iPhone 4?

04) Some years ago I converted my DVD collection to MP4, don't remember which software program did the conversation? Handbreak?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

1. Same connector. The Gizmodo iPhone was connected to iTunes in an attempt to get it running.

3. If it is higher resolution, most have speculated that it will be doubled. So the OS will most likely double the apps pixels which should look just fine. Developers will quickly catch on and update to match anyway.

4. Yup

3. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I'm preparing myself not just materialistically with accessories and applications but emotionally and spiritually too.

Just a few moments a day where I award myself 'quiet time' to consider the way the phone will change and possibly improve my lifestyle and soft skill set.

I encourage us all to prepare for the mental and emotional implications this hardware will catalyse change and spend quiet time with me absorbing these techno waves of spirituality.

Prepare and reward.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

OP - I would REALLY wait to but accessories until the phone comes out. I know you want to be prepared, but Apple has a habit of making newer models incompatible with older accessories (i.e. accessories built for previous versions of the hardware). And yes, handbrake will do the trick for you.

5. Anastacio thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, so I can easily buy up a whole lot of apps - without fearing they'll charge extra for an updated version for the higher-res screen?

6. rkswat macrumors regular

There, I fixed your post with a rolleyes smiley...... You where being sarcastic right..... Please tell me you where..... I know you Brits can be a bit dry humored at times so I'm going with that.
    If however you are not joking please go seek some help from a mental health professional.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Brilliantly funny... :)

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Brilliant!

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I've been long considering buying the Navigon turn-by-turn app, and it's recently had a price drop to $49.99, but I'm hesitating now in light of the impending release of 4.0. I am a little worried that Navigon will not offer a free upgrade to the 4.0 version of the software (they've been coy about free version upgrades, and they seem to be making a distinction on their website between "updates" (which are free) and "upgrades" (whose pricing will be announced at a later date). I've got an email in to their support department.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

great reply

wrkactjob thanks you made me laugh out loud. I would have added meditative ummmm at the end. :p As far as Accessory's etc the 4G still isn't 100% real till WWDC or Steve Jobs says so and what the Developers do App wise remains to be seen. Start saving but lets not jump ahead of ourselves. :D

12. Anastacio thread starter macrumors regular

No need to save, have had the money put aside for a while.

You guys are right, I'll wait with any accessories and apps.
    Guess I'm gonna look for some music instead.

13. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

:p

14. jhip20 macrumors newbie

1 - same connecter

2- get the new model by jawbone as the iphone displays the jawbones battery on the iphone screen! - plus this is simply the best bluetooth you can get

3 - Im sure the apps wont look much different on the new iphone screen. You may have a bigger resolution but your not trying to fill a huge screen like on the ipad.

4 - handbreak, yes. I have it as well.

15. svenscot macrumors newbie

Second vote on the icon jawbone

If youbhave experience wih bluetoothbheadphones you'll know that figuring out if they're charged enough or not/ them dying on you mid call means they don't get used. The ICON shows its battery in the iPhone in the top right of the screen and it tLks to you in a voice you select. I bought it the day it came out and have no regrets.

16. rkswat macrumors regular

Man I was hoping but you never know.... there are some pretty psycho, I mean die hard apple fans out there.

17. Anastacio thread starter macrumors regular

Which one are you talking about? The Jawbone? =)

18. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

If the new iPhone has glass front and back then a very good case is imperative. That might slow down my purchase as I will want to see what comes out and how it looks etc before beginning my journey with the new iPhone. I think an all glass model will be very nice for the "classy factor", but very delicate as well as heavier. We shall see.

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't see why. I should think that such a case would be significantly more scratch-resistant, at least.

20. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Glass is pretty easy to hurt. It's also heavier than plastic. When you go looking on eBay there seem to be loads of iPhones with glass damage out there from chips to full bashes and cracks.

I love the idea of glass and metal, it's a very modern, sleek, sensuous idea but I have looked with a certain amount of concern on how easily scratched/chipped/cracked/broken the iPhone is, and think that I am going to error on the side of trying to keep it looking good. It pays to be paranoid.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That's probably why they will most likely use zirconium dioxide.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I'd grab it at that price. I purchased it at 69.99 back in August and am so glad that I did. Works flawlessly on my 3GS and when I had my 3G.. Even though some people said it was really laggy. Over the past 10 months, they have updated it for all the versions of iPhone OS as they come out for no additional charge. What they charged for were the add-on upgrades, like Panorama 3D view and Live Traffic. All the updates like adding google search, updated maps and that stuff was free.

23. Anastacio thread starter macrumors regular

So I put two of my movies on my computer and now need to convert them to MP4 for the iPhone to play them.

I'm using Handbrake but what settings are you guys using?
    And how much does your movies take up?

I tried just going with the standard "iPhone" preset and it takes 512MB but is 480x272 in resolution (?).

Is there a thread for Handbrake iPhone converting?

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did you try searching the forum for the word handbrake?

25. Anastacio thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'm doing in the meantime and has yet to find an answer.
    I would rather prefer some help, than a question back at me. =)

Edit: Anyway, just now thought, that I should wait converting them, as the next iPhone will probably have higher resolution. .