Preparing iMac for Apple support

Discussion in 'iMac' started by orionlogic, Aug 1, 2014.

1. orionlogic macrumors newbie

I am planing to bring the iMac to Apple support for a monitor issue. Probably it will stay in support a few days.

Is it enough to put a password for one admin user so that no other people login to computer? Can support people have any chance to login my computer? Keychain, for example stores my life :)

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Well if you want them to properly test the computer, they will most likely need access to it.

Believe it or not, the repair guys don't care about your Facebook passwords, etc. If you're that worried, create an admin account for them with no password.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

^^^ This. Or if you're really paranoid, do a time machine backup of your Mac (which you really should do anyway before bringing it in), wipe the Mac, and set up a plain, empty admin account for them to use. When you get the Mac back, wipe again, and restore from Time Machine.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would just add a temp admin account and give them that password to use.

But if they want to get into your personal user account it takes about 30 seconds for them to reset your password and get in. (Not saying they would want to.)

Even if they reset your password like I mentioned, they could not open your Keychain as that has its own password that would not be reset by an account password reset.

Personally, I would make a temp admin account and remove my personal account and data. Would not want to risk client data to other's prying eyes. If it is just personal data like your kids photos etc, I would not worry about it.

5. orionlogic thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i am sure the ips panel will be changed so it does not need a login to system.

I have one account, its admin and its password is same with keychain. If i create a dummy admin account, will they able to see things in my main account?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not easily through Finder. But yes they can see your account files using the sudo command through Terminal if they really want to.