Preparing iPhone 4 for sale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trevorplease, Oct 8, 2011.

1. trevorplease macrumors regular

I want to get rid of my iPhone 4 before selling it via craigslist or ebay.

It currently has applecare, do I need to contact apple at all to tell them that I'm no longer responsible for applecare, that I want to transfer applecare to the new owner? In other words, is Applecare linked to my own Apple ID or only to the S/N of the phone?

Also, is there any safer/securer way to clear the data than on the actual phone and itunes?

2. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you want to deliver the warm and fuzzes, call applecare and ask them to give you info on how to transfer ownership.

But it really won't matter. If they bring the iPhone in, you're information will come up and the end user will just give them the correct info. You can even bring in stolen phones.

4. shortys408 macrumors regular

I do not think you need to do anything to transfer apple care. You can just restore the firmware in itunes to erase the phone. On that note, do you think the ip4 will be worth more with ios4 jailbroken or ios5 non jailbroken?

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

http://www.apple.com/r/store/applecare/APPTermsConditions.pdf

But I never do this. Eddyisgreat is right...they can just go in and get service.

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

when you sell your iPhone 4 do u need to take the sim card out or no ??

7. Sp71Supra macrumors regular

I do.

8. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

I never even thought of that. Do you just throw away the sim card? I'm assuming you get a new one with a new phone bought from the store?

So if you don't transfer applecare, anything the new owner does when they bring it in won't look bad under your name, because they'll give new info the first time they get it serviced?

9. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Yup. And they can present Apple with their copy of the bill of sale if there's any confusion. (Yeah, you should complete a bill of sale, like this one. But I am not a lawyer and I cannot accept responsibility for whether this document is good for anything whatsoever.)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jbfgia7ceoxabbu/Bill of sale.pdf