Preparing Mac Air for Sale

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lcjjdnh, Nov 3, 2013.

1. lcjjdnh macrumors newbie

How would one prepare a Mac Book Air for sale. Is there anyway to keep Mavericks on it but wipe everything else?

2. Miltz macrumors 6502a

Just to do a Full Restore. It will be like new.

3. lcjjdnh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! And for the dumb foliow-up: how does one do that?

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

5. Jpeppard macrumors newbie

When you boot into that recovery menu, you have to go into disk utility and format your hard drive before you choose "Reinstall OSX" to completely remove user data.

6. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

...but before... I recommend a full disk encryption with FileVault and then... do the Cmd+R to re-install. This will prevent next owner finding those files you wouldnd't want anyone to see :D

7. dean1012 macrumors regular

This is misleading. If the data is already on the drive unencrypted, enabling the encryption may add another layer of obfuscation but does not prevent the data from being reached if the new owner is truly interested in getting it. IE, it is a great measure to take but is far from 100% effective.

Also, encryption can be broken given the right resources and amount of time.

For 99% of users, it should suffice to format the drive and reinstall OSX.

If you do have data that cannot be seen by others (say, nuclear launch codes or something that would land you in jail...), you should remove the HDD and destroy it professionally.

8. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Well you're taking this wwwway out of context with your NSA-like comment. I'm not talking about launch codes, but a simple way to "remove" personal stuff. No one will care to spend days decrypting your cat pictures :D

9. dean1012 macrumors regular

I was just making the OP aware that your suggestion is a good one but not a perfect solution.

Also, this has nothing to do the NSA. I just used that as a rather extreme example. A lot of us probably have some work related documents on our macs at some point or another; these are sensitive pieces of data that could ruin your life if they are leaked.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not misleading at all. If you encrypt the data then after that erase it, someone would first have to recover the data from the now erased drive then also decrypt it. I have yet to see even one report of Filevault encryption being cracked much less cracking it after recovering the core storage image from an erased drive. If you have some information about Filevault encryption being cracked I would like to see it.

11. dean1012 macrumors regular

I don't believe it has been cracked. I was referring to the existing unencrypted information on the disk being potentially recoverable, not the new data that is encrypted.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think you understand how Filevault (FV) works. If OP turns on FV, everything on the disk is encrypted including existing data. The entire boot volume is encrypted and turned into an encrypted OS X core storage volume. If you turn on FV then erase the drive that data is gone forever.

13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

To the OP, restart your computer, hold down the Command key and R key. Choose Disk Utility. Erase and select Secure Erase under options. You can choose the level of Secure erase (7 Pass if, like they said above, you have top secret stuff to get rid of...).

That should do it. It will take a while to do a Secure Erase.

Then re-install the operating system.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Secure erase is blocked (greyed out) in Disk Util for flash based storage Mac like the OP's Air. Using FileVault like RightMACatU suggested is the best option for security.

15. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

That's strange but you are absolutely correct. I had not noticed that before.

Thanks for the info...

16. lcjjdnh thread starter macrumors newbie

So I managed to reformat the hard drive. But this person I gave it to was unable to install Mavericks. It will not let him download/install the product because he has not previously purchased OSX from the Mac store. Any suggestions?

17. stayley macrumors member

I think you should've reinstalled it. I guess he is using his Apple ID (if he has one) when trying to download it? Maybe that's the problem.

18. lcjjdnh thread starter macrumors newbie

I can still do that. But will we be able to swap Apple IDs later, so he's not using my App Store account, getting my iMessages, etc.?

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What OS is running on there now? I thought you reinstalled Mavericks?

Al he needs to do it open the App Store app ion this or another Mac and "purchase" (free) Mavericks with his AppleID. Then when he does the command-r recovery he can use his AppleID that was used to obtain Mavs.

20. lcjjdnh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. No OS on there now. I suppose I can reinstall Mavericks with my ID, but won't it just tell me that Mavericks is already downloaded when I go into the App Store--even if I sign out? He does not currently have a Mac.

----------

Also, I just get a spinning circle even when I try to sign in, saying it's trying to sign into the Mac store.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go ahead and install with your AppleID and when the setup wizard starts just command-q to quit and give him the machine. Then when he starts it will run the setup and let him make an account etc. Then he can go to the App Store and "purchase" Mavs with his AppleID and all will be well.

22. stayley macrumors member

I assumed you didn't have access to the Mac anymore. If you do, then you should just get a prompt on boot up, so that you can install the system. Use your apple ID to install it and that's it.

If you've formatted the disk as you said, then he will have a clean install. The only thing is, if you registered the machine with your ID in iTunes then you/he will have to unregister it (two clicks really).

I did this clean install a couple of weeks ago when I was replacing my Air.

23. lcjjdnh thread starter macrumors newbie

This won't cause iMessage problems or anything?

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... as long as you just install and do not login to iTunes or Messages or anything, it will cause no issues.

25. lcjjdnh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That worked perfectly. Appreciate all the help.