Preparing mac mini for sale with fresh install

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by joburocks, Jan 7, 2014.

1. joburocks macrumors newbie

I'm selling my mac and want to make sure the buyer wont be getting any of my info after doing the following.

Here is what I did

Step 1. Upgrade to Mavericks

Step 2. signed out and unauthorized iCloud, Dropbox, iTunes

Step 3. Reboot to Mac Utilities

Step 4. Erased Hard drive partition

Step 5. Chose "Reinstall Mac OS".

Step 6. Was prompted for Apple ID and password to reinstall so I entered it.

Step 7. Install finished - I am at a Welcome Screen which says, In just a few steps, you can register and set up your Mac. It is asking what country I'm in and has a world map on it.

I assume that all is set and my information has been erased and removed.

The only concern is that when choosing re-install Mac OS from the Mac Utilities Menu it then asked me to sign in with my apple ID.

Also how do I exit the set-up screen safely?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

This may not help you where you're at now but I made a USB drive of Mavericks. Whenever I decide to sell my MBP I'll resinstall it from the USB drive. This SHOULD give me an installation that has no idea who I am.

3. joburocks thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume that you downloaded it with your mac ID from the app store before you put it on the USB. Perhaps this is similar.

4. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

That's exactly what I did. There's some instructions online on how to do this. Figured it'll be easier to install Mavericks if a HDD crashes or a buy a new Mac.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The only thing I would add is you should do a PRAM reset as your wifi password is stored there from the recovery you ran.

Here is the official word from Apple on prepping to sell.