Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I haven't replaced mine yet (see my earlier post - I bought the Crucial M4 256GB) but I can guarantee you that you will notice a HUGE improvement in performance and speed.

Boot/shut down times will be much faster. HD's need to spin up before they can be accessed. Data can only be read/written when the the disc is in the right position under the HD pin/needle. SSD's can be accessed MUCH faster. My stock HD's access time is 12ms. The Crucial M4 256GB is <0.1ms! That's just the speed!

They have no moving parts they are absolutely silent and much more shock resistant/durable. They use less power and generate less heat. I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't get an SSD apart from the cost! If you can afford one then BUY ONE!! Once you pay the price then it's all good from then on.

I just ordered mine from Amazon and it's supposed to come by Tuesday (the day before ML is supposedly coming out so perfect, I'll install it when I get ML together). I'm excited now. Thanks!
It was pretty expensive ($203), but I rarely spend my money on personal things like this, so I decided to go for it and hopefully it'll pay off!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
People who have replaced their hdds with a ssd, will I see an improvement?

Massive improvement. Once you've gone SSD, you'll never be able to go back. As a number of people have already said... :)

Any operation involving transfers of data between RAM and disk will be much faster. With a spinning disk this is a bottleneck. I can't say for sure it will greatly speed up CPU-heavy tasks like exporting from iMovie, but you won't care because every other action will be like you have a brand new SSD-based computer. I did this with a 2008 MBP. Still awesome.

An enclosure is £10 and this will give you some space for backup or archiving your movie projects, etc.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Massive improvement. Once you've gone SSD, you'll never be able to go back. As a number of people have already said... :)

Any operation involving transfers of data between RAM and disk will be much faster. With a spinning disk this is a bottleneck. I can't say for sure it will greatly speed up CPU-heavy tasks like exporting from iMovie, but you won't care because every other action will be like you have a brand new SSD-based computer. I did this with a 2008 MBP. Still awesome.

An enclosure is £10 and this will give you some space for backup or archiving your movie projects, etc.

I have a separate backup hdd (250 gb) and all of my files and applications are on there.
Here's my plan, and I believe someone mentioned this earlier in the thread:
I'm going to download ML (when it comes out) on my hdd. I'll then create the disk image on a USB (i'm doing a clean install.) I'll replace my HDD with my new SSD, then configure the ssd, and then cleanly install Mountain Lion.
If anyone has any good videos/tutorials/instructions on how to do this exaclty, they would be greatly appreciated!:apple:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I tried looking for guides but can't seem to find anything worthwhile.

It shouldn't be too complicated. I know how to burn the installer onto dvd/usb and do a clean install with Lion. The only difference is I'll be doing it on a new SSD.

I think it should be as simple as burning the installer to a dvd/usb drive, putting the SSD in and booting from the dvd/usb. Once you boot from either one you just format the SSD (if you haven't already) and then follow the instructions to install the OS :)

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I personally have an OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD and taken the Superdrive out and replaced it with a 500GB HDD. I also have 2x4GB ram. This is a 2.4ghz mid-2010 MBP13.

This way, I have all my system and applications on the SSD and all my bulky multimedia items on the HDD. When I'm not using any multimedia files I simply eject the HDD and save battery power!

I think it's a good setup. Much cheaper than a bigger SSD.

Boots up in less than 15 seconds on Lion. I'm hoping to hit nearly 10 seconds on ML.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011

It shouldn't be too complicated. I know how to burn the installer onto dvd/usb and do a clean install with Lion. The only difference is I'll be doing it on a new SSD.

I think it should be as simple as burning the installer to a dvd/usb drive, putting the SSD in and booting from the dvd/usb. Once you boot from either one you just format the SSD (if you haven't already) and then follow the instructions to install the OS :)

How do I format the ssd?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13" 250 gb hdd, 4 gb RAM and 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Lion. It runs fine, but slows down when I'm doing a lot of stuff at once.

I'm going to do a clean install of Mountain Lion on my Mac when it comes out and I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade my RAM to 8 gb (2 X 4gb)?

Also, is it possible to replace my hdd with an ssd?

Thanks.

Upgrading to 8GB of RAM is definitely worth the upgrade. You'll see a significant difference in speed and the way your app handles running more apps. I suggest buying your RAM at OWC, they give you a lifetime warranty. :)

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Upgrading to 8GB of RAM is definitely worth the upgrade. You'll see a significant difference in speed and the way your app handles running more apps. I suggest buying your RAM at OWC, they give you a lifetime warranty. :)

99% of RAM manufacturers give you life time warranty.

I recommend Corsair, Crucial or Samsung SSDs.

----------

I have a separate backup hdd (250 gb) and all of my files and applications are on there.
Here's my plan, and I believe someone mentioned this earlier in the thread:
I'm going to download ML (when it comes out) on my hdd. I'll then create the disk image on a USB (i'm doing a clean install.) I'll replace my HDD with my new SSD, then configure the ssd, and then cleanly install Mountain Lion.
If anyone has any good videos/tutorials/instructions on how to do this exaclty, they would be greatly appreciated!:apple:

Tutorial, you just gave yourself a tutorial lol.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

Ive already put Mtn Lion on a USB and cleanly installed Mtn Lion to my mac.

----------

Yes, very easy.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Quick question:
When I install my new ssd, how can I format it? Do I just turn on my mac and it'll go into disk utility?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Quick question:
When I install my new ssd, how can I format it? Do I just turn on my mac and it'll go into disk utility?

I used a HD enclosure so it was as simple as putting the SSD in that, plug the usb cable in and formatting it using Disk Utility.

If you don't have an enclosure then you could try downloading the ML installer, burning it to DVD/USB and then boot up your Mac from that. Instead of installing the OS just go to Disk Utility and format the SSD. Once that's done then just install the OS :)

I suggest burning to USB over DVD as it's much simpler and faster than DVD.

Here's a guide to what should be done:

1. Download ML installer from Mac App Store.
2. Burn installer onto USB/DVD. Guides are in my earlier post. If you're burning to DVD then put it in the drive before next step.
3. Shut down Mac, remove HD and install SSD. You'll need both a 00 Philips & Torx T6 screwdriver!
4. If you burn to USB then plug it in BEFORE turning Mac back on.
5. Turn Mac on and hold option key. The option to boot into USB/DVD will come up. Select it.
6. If you haven't already then format the SSD by selecting Disk Utility then format to Mac OS Extended Journaled.
7. Go back and start installation process and follow the instructions. Don't remove USB/DVD until the OS is fully installed.

Last edited:

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I used a HD enclosure so it was as simple as putting the SSD in that, plug the usb cable in and formatting it using Disk Utility.

If you don't have an enclosure then you could try downloading the ML installer, burning it to DVD/USB and then boot up your Mac from that. Instead of installing the OS just go to Disk Utility and format the SSD. Once that's done then just install the OS :)

I suggest burning to USB over DVD as it's much simpler and faster than DVD.

Here's a guide to what should be done:

1. Download ML installer from Mac App Store.
2. Burn installer onto USB/DVD. Guides are in my earlier post. If you're burning to DVD then put it in the drive before next step.
3. Shut down Mac, remove HD and install SSD. You'll need both a 00 Philips & Torx T6 screwdriver!
4. If you burn to USB then plug it in BEFORE turning Mac back on.
5. Turn Mac on and hold option key. The option to boot into USB/DVD will come up. Select it.
6. If you haven't already then format the SSD by selecting Disk Utility then format to Mac OS Extended Journaled.
7. Go back and start installation process and follow the instructions. Don't remove USB/DVD until the OS is fully installed.

I'm going to download the installer onto a USB, then replace my hdd with a ssd. How do I boot to the mountain lion installer on the USB, and then how do I go about formatting my ssd? (sorry this is my first time doing a clean install and replacing my hdd)

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
You'll make your life WAY easier if you get an external enclosure for your existing drive.

That way you install the SSD, put the stock HDD in an enclosure. You'll be able to boot from this external HDD and then use the App Store ML app to clean install to the internal SSD.

Doing it this way means that you:
1. Have an easily booted external backup in case something goes wrong.
2. You will be putting your previous hard drive to use as an external drive.
3. You don't need to mess about with DVDs or USB sticks.

Much better way IMO.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
You'll make your life WAY easier if you get an external enclosure for your existing drive.

That way you install the SSD, put the stock HDD in an enclosure. You'll be able to boot from this external HDD and then use the App Store ML app to clean install to the internal SSD.

Doing it this way means that you:
1. Have an easily booted external backup in case something goes wrong.
2. You will be putting your previous hard drive to use as an external drive.
3. You don't need to mess about with DVDs or USB sticks.

Much better way IMO.

Thanks, but I was hoping for instructions on how to complete my setup.
I have a functioning Time Machine backup. I'm going to download Mountain Lion, put the installer on a USB. I'll replace my HDD with my new SSD. I understand how to do everything up until this point. What do I do after I have my SSD in my macbook pro and Mountain Lion installer on a USB?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks, but I was hoping for instructions on how to complete my setup.
I have a functioning Time Machine backup. I'm going to download Mountain Lion, put the installer on a USB. I'll replace my HDD with my new SSD. I understand how to do everything up until this point. What do I do after I have my SSD in my macbook pro and Mountain Lion installer on a USB?

I'll help you :)

Follow these steps and you should be fine.

1. Download ML from Mac App Store.

2. Once it has downloaded you need to burn the installer onto a USB. For a guide to do this click here!

3. Once you get to the part that says "When finished, reboot the Mac and hold down the Option key to bring up the boot menu:" Don't do this. What you need to do is SHUT DOWN the Mac. Remove your old HD and install the new SSD. Here is a video showing you what needs to be done. You'll need a 00 Philips/Torx T6 screwdriver.

4. Once the SSD is installed then plug in the USB drive. Power on the Mac and hold down the option key (between ctrl/cmd) until you see this screen. The orange disk is the USB drive. Select that and you'll boot into it.

5. Once the installer starts running then you'll presented with some options. Find the Disk Utility and format your SSD to "Mac OS Extended Journaled". Should only take about 10-20 seconds :)

6. When the SSD is formatted exit Disk Utility and select the option to start installation. Just follow the instructions and that's it! Don't remove the USB until ML is fully installed.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I'll help you :)

Follow these steps and you should be fine.

1. Download ML from Mac App Store.

2. Once it has downloaded you need to burn the installer onto a USB. For a guide to do this click here!

3. Once you get to the part that says "When finished, reboot the Mac and hold down the Option key to bring up the boot menu:" Don't do this. What you need to do is SHUT DOWN the Mac. Remove your old HD and install the new SSD. Here is a video showing you what needs to be done. You'll need a 00 Philips/Torx T6 screwdriver.

4. Once the SSD is installed then plug in the USB drive. Power on the Mac and hold down the option key (between ctrl/cmd) until you see this screen. The orange disk is the USB drive. Select that and you'll boot into it.

5. Once the installer starts running then you'll presented with some options. Find the Disk Utility and format your SSD to "Mac OS Extended Journaled". Should only take about 10-20 seconds :)

6. When the SSD is formatted exit Disk Utility and select the option to start installation. Just follow the instructions and that's it! Don't remove the USB until ML is fully installed.

Thank you SO much! You just made it all really simple.

Now I'm really ready for Mountain Lion. Thanks!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Thank you SO much! You just made it all really simple.

Now I'm really ready for Mountain Lion. Thanks!

Not a problem! Glad I could help :)

Download this guide by clicking here. It is really helpful and it's from another member on here. The only thing that you need to different is install the SSD between steps 10 & 11. The guide covers making a bootable USB drive and formatting the SSD :)

Last edited:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I just ordered mine from Amazon and it's supposed to come by Tuesday (the day before ML is supposedly coming out so perfect, I'll install it when I get ML together). I'm excited now. Thanks!
It was pretty expensive ($203), but I rarely spend my money on personal things like this, so I decided to go for it and hopefully it'll pay off!

You made a good choice. A SSD is the single best performance enhancement you can add to a computer. I upgraded to one when Lion came out and I can never go back to a HDD in my main computer again. And just a bonus is that it never makes a sound. Now when you get everything setup with ML you will feel like you have a whole new computer, enjoy it!

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Not a problem! Glad I could help :)

Download this guide by clicking here. It is really helpful and it's from another member on here. The only thing that you need to different is install the SSD between steps 10 & 11. The guide covers making a bootable USB drive and formatting the SSD :)

Yea, I saw that. It looks really helpful, and I know I just have to format my SSD instead of erasing my HDD. Thanks!

You made a good choice. A SSD is the single best performance enhancement you can add to a computer. I upgraded to one when Lion came out and I can never go back to a HDD in my main computer again. And just a bonus is that it never makes a sound. Now when you get everything setup with ML you will feel like you have a whole new computer, enjoy it!

I'm so excited. My computer's not slow, but it has been lagging, and some things take a while to open, close, etc. and I'm hoping this ssd will help improve on that!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Yea, I saw that. It looks really helpful, and I know I just have to format my SSD instead of erasing my HDD. Thanks!

I'm so excited. My computer's not slow, but it has been lagging, and some things take a while to open, close, etc. and I'm hoping this ssd will help improve on that!

That is how my macbook was, the SSD should fix exactly that for you.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Just a quick question: How large of a file will Mountain Lion be? I have an 8 gb USB for the dmg so I'm not worried about not having enough room so I can perform a clean install, I'm just wondering. Thanks!

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Just a quick question: How large of a file will Mountain Lion be? I have an 8 gb USB for the dmg so I'm not worried about not having enough room so I can perform a clean install, I'm just wondering. Thanks!

Yes, 8GB is perfect. if you end up getting errors when making the restore USB key. Just mount the DMG & move it into the source box.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012

8GB is enough :) I think ML is ~4/4.5GB.

wooten409

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Im essentially doing the same thing as markrox7; just bought a macbook, wanting to remove existing HDD & replace it w/ a Intel SSD I just bought, then replace the optical drive with the HDD that came with the Mac...

I have an external enclosure, so formatting isn't a problem, but my question is, would it be better to install Mountain Lion on my existing HDD, clone that drive to my SSD (keeping all existing files and programs), and then install the SSD?
Or
Should I do like you guys are saying and do a clean install on the SSD instead of upgrading on my existing HDD first...

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.