Preparing my old Mac Pro for sale

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tarsierspectral, Aug 29, 2010.

1. tarsierspectral macrumors regular

Since I got my new MP I am intending to sell the old one. Currently, the original HD that came with my old MP is in my new MP. I already moved all the files off of it. Can I just install OSX on that drive while it is in my new MP by inserting the DVD and booting off of it and then just put OSX on that drive? Then, take it out of the new MP and insert it into the old one? This should work right?

2. trankdart macrumors member

You shouldn't do it that way (transferring a fully-installed bootable disk between two machines, especially dissimilar machines) because it will install different drivers in your new MP than it would have in the old one. After you move the drive it might not even boot.

I just 7-pass wiped my old drive and then installed Snow Leopard from a retail DVD and updated it to 10.6.4 with all relevant software updates.

I also wiped the factory install off the new MP and installed everything except my own user account from scratch. Amazing how much disk space you free up that way, getting rid of useless old apps & library files that have been gathering dust since 2006.

I still have the old MP's original install discs that will go with it in the sale, but who knows what they install. Tiger? No matter, in any event they're only good for booting it for disk utility, not really for installing anything of interest any more.

3. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

OK, thanks. I want the new owner to go through the wizard when they start the computer, so I guess I will just load the OS and leave it to them to update etc.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Wipe the old drive. Install OS X; after the reboot and before the Apple logo appears, power off the machine.

Dust out the inside and clean things up (as a courtesy—probably helps with sale too).

5. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

It's spanking brand new looking now :D

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

When I sell my MPs I always remove all the HDs and install a new one. It takes too long to to a truly secure wipe a HD to leave the original drive in and HDs are so inexpensive now -- an OEM 1TB can be had for $60 shipped.

After that install OS X. Reboot to make sure all is well. Control-Q after the startup video so the new owner will think he's booting up a new machine. Dust off the inside of the machine if nec. w/ canned air. Repack in original box if you have it.