Preparing to Benchmark

MeanD3feat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I own an iMac g5 and I've just downloaded Xbench, Cinebench 2003 (and the beta optimized for G5) and cocoabench. What I would like to know is are there any other useful benchmark apps that I can get (for free!) and most importantly, what should I do to prepare my system for benchmarking? Do I close the finder (read about wow users doing this for better perfomance), should I do a restart? Any info would be appreciated and I wil post the resuts in the hardware forum.
If you do offer any suggestions please explain how to do what you are suggesting, I'm not stupid, but as a 'switcher' I find the OS beautiful but by no means obvious or simple.
Finally, I have checked sites that have already used benchmarking apps but since a lot of forums bash these benchmarks or suggest taking the results with a pinch of salt, following the advice they give seems a bit foolish without a second (or third, forth etc ;) ) opinion.
Thanks

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Kepp in mind I think its the program XBench which is doesn't always give accurate results

as for preparation I think you simply need to close unneeded programs, leave the Finder running since it makes your mac useful and you won't really see too much of a boost in performance from doing that anyway

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Restart first to clear up any RAM that is unused but not yet released.
Also makes sure few things are running behind the scenes.