Preparing to buy ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by b84, Jan 20, 2008.

1. b84 macrumors member

so i have already placed my order for the ipod touch 16gb but was wondering if safari on the ipod works just as well as a regular mac. I know that it would be slower but i am wondering if all the web pages come up as if i were on a computer. I mainly purchased it b/c of the wifi capabilites and video player/screen size is nice, not so much as a music player as i have a ipod nano 1gb, which does ok but battery life has seen better days. But at times i am let wondering if i should just buy a cheap 600 laptop ; that would be another 2hunderd on top of the ipod. crazy how things are getting nowadays

2. steve.lawrence macrumors member

Safari renders web pages in the same way that Safari on a mac does, navigating them is very easy and natural. The only things it can't do it are Flash (any flash menus, ads or videos embedded in a webpage will not work) and things like downloading content from webpages (saving pictures, downloading files etc).

I have a laptop that I was using constantly before I bought the touch, now it mainly gathers dust because frankly I prefer the experience of surfing the web on my touch, despite its tiny screen. Since you're going to get the mail, maps, stocks, notes and weather apps on your shiny new touch you'll have an even richer experience and you will not regret it one tiny bit.

Personally, I think Apple undersold this product by branding it as an iPod. It's iPod functions account for about 20% of what it can do, and co-incidentally about 20% of the time I actually spend on it using it as a music player!

Buy one - I guarantee you will not regret it!

Steve

3. darkday macrumors newbie

For me the ipod touch is a replacement for my laptop. I like my laptop (dell vostro 1500) but it's just to heavy. As far as pages loading it really isn't much slower if any. It's almost exactly like having a small laptop aside from the fact it doesn't have flash. Apple did a VERY good job on making everything work well on it. You can double tap on a segment of text and it will zoom in to fit the text perfectly or you can do the whole zoom thing with your fingers if you like so reading is not an issue.

If normal web surfing is all you need this is the thing for you.

4. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502

I am also interested in getting an ITouch..will probably go with the 16gb. I was hoping to wait for a 32 gig to become available but that probably won't happen til the end of the year. I currently have on my Itunes 4.38 gig of music and videos(I only listen to about 40 of those songs). Do you all know the best deal I can get on the ITouch 16gb right now..besides the one on amazon for 358.00? I have the video Ipod which I want to sell but the apple store only gives 20 bucks which is ridiculous. I am also gonna wait to hack it once the SDK becomes available..when is that supposed to happen?

5. sashag macrumors newbie

so i have already placed my order for the ipod touch 16gb but was wondering if safari on the ipod works just as well as a regular mac. I know that it would be slower but i am wondering if all the web pages come up as if i were on a computer. I mainly purchased it b/c of the wifi capabilites and video player/screen size is nice, not so much as a music player as i have a ipod nano 1gb, which does ok but battery life has seen better days. But at times i am let wondering if i should just buy a cheap 600 laptop ; that would be another 2hunderd on top of the ipod. crazy how things are getting nowadays

having just bought a 16gb ipod touch the other day, i can tell you that the amazon deal is the best deal from the most reliable co. i personally would not trust any other company other then amazon, newegg, tiger direct or apple to buy an apple product from, (unless it was an officially licensed apple vendor, but even then i would do my research first). -hope this helps.

6. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Interesting way of quoting there.

It is slower than a desktop or laptop Mac, but easily bearable.
    I lay in bed and browse my normal desktop sites, without too much of a delay.

7. b84 thread starter macrumors member

can i jump on macrumors.com from my ipod touch and be able to post as i am now and readthe forum???

8. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yes you can but I would go down to the bottom of the forums page and set it to the iPhone friendly version.

9. b84 thread starter macrumors member

cool. so i can virtually surf any website
    how about youtube is it exactly as if i were on youtube.com or are there limited functions. I noticed that alot of videos are flash based now. so does that mean that i will not be able to access all the videos of the website>? can i watch a video of top gear on my ipod?

10. darkday macrumors newbie

Anything that is on youtube you can view, there is a special youtube program that comes loaded with the Ipod. It's pretty much the same thing with a slightly different interface.

11. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Yes, but if you click on a YouTube link it will open within your YouTube application without any delay.

One that note I agree completely :)

12. nakile macrumors regular

Really? So if I was on YouTube.com looking at my subscriptions or using the search and clicked on a video link, it would open the YouTube app to play it? When I'm done with the video can I close the YouTube app and be back at the same page (or pages if I have multiple open) in Safari?

13. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just bought my new Touch last week. I enabled wifi from my IMac and now I can sit on the couch and watch TV, while surfing and reading e-mails from my Touch. Last weekend I went to a coffee shop in San Francisco and was able to read the news, and do e-mails utilizing their wifi connection.

I like the newly released apps. I'm especially going to enjoy them when I travel. I have a work provided laptop (PC), which I don't like bringing with me, but I'm going to love having my Touch with me. I also have sync'd a few movies to my Touch and I watch them at the gym while doing cardio. I bought an IClear from Griffen and I'm very happy with that purchase as well!

14. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Exactly... if you're in Safari and you click a YouTube link it opens in the YouTube app, then when your finished with the video just go back to the desktop and open Safari and you're right back where you were before opening the YouTube link.

15. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Amazon, yes. apple, yes. OWC, yes. Newegg? Tiger Direct? OHN. I've had nothing but issues with TigerDirect. Newegg is fine for things you aren't likely to have to return, but if it goes bad and has to go back, Newegg can be a PITA.

16. sashag macrumors newbie

thank you. I had not have had to return anything from newegg, yet, but it is good to know. I have not personally ordered from tiger-direct, but it was rated one of the top sites from Macworld

17. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Caveat on that: I had repeated bad luck with tiger direct a couple years ago and haven't ordered from them since. They may have completely turned it around, I just have a lingering bad taste in my mouth. I should have made that clear in my original post.

18. apattee macrumors regular

19. nakile macrumors regular

Sounds good. But here's another problem: How would I view the comments on a video if clicking on the link opens the YouTube app instead of going to the video page?

20. b84 thread starter macrumors member

hello all I just got my iPod. As I am writing from the device rife now. Very nice to hav e the net on my pocket. I really enjoy it although 4 some people you may want to buy a laptop if you r limited with cash.

21. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

Buy now

I was given one by my better half for Christmas. it is fantastic. Make sure that you get the recent download and switch to imap e-mail for your e-mail devices. I was walking home this evening, picked up my e-mails from an open wifi network and read and deleted the cack before I got to my house. Brilliant.

Web surfing is fantastic. But Yahoo weather is not nearly as good as the Met Office on the BBC. Weather app is slow and wrong.

And 16Gb is fine. I have mail, contacts, movies, favourite images, 3000 songs, a movie and space to spare. Best device I have used. And that includes my beloved 12in Powerbook.