Preparing to buy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigdawg4, May 19, 2013.

1. Bigdawg4 macrumors regular

a macbook pro 13". this will be my first mac, although ive owned many iphones. Any recomendations?

2. simsaladimbamba

Recommendations from us need the knowledge of your computational needs, but most likely the base MBP will work fine, you can upgrade the RAM to 8 GB or 16 GB for less than what Apple wants and you can also upgrade the HDD to a bigger one or to an SSD for much less than what Apple wants.
    Both upgrades can be done easily by yourself in ten minutes or so.

3. Bear macrumors G3

That's true for a cMBP, but not for a Retina MBP. Retina MBP doesn't allow for after purchase hardware changes really.

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, did not thought about the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, but then again, the OP did not state any specifics, so, who give an iota of spinach to the cat now?

5. Bear macrumors G3

You don't give anything to a cat. They take what they want. :)

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Wow. Just wow.

Given this appears to be a free-for-all in the category of "let's just guess"...
    I'd say get one of each just to be safe.

7. Bigdawg4 thread starter macrumors regular

Im sorry I didnt provide more details. the computer will promarily be used by my daughter who is graduating high school and beginning college. So really it will be used for college, no gaming.

8. simsaladimbamba

Then again, the base MBP and even base MacBook Pro with Retina Display will do fine, but if you can wait until August or so, you can probably get 2013 models with more refined hardware and better battery life and even use the Back To School promo from Apple.

9. Bigdawg4 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont think she needs retina on her first MBP, so we'll go with the base model. I was leaning towards getting one off of ebay from a preferred seller.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Better off getting a refurb from Apple if you're looking for a deal or wait for the back to school promo.

11. Stetrain, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would also recommend going with Apple Certified Refurbished or with the education discount + back to school promo which usually starts in the summer.

Also the prices on the refurbished units will most likely drop when updated models are released. That's currently expected to happen sometime this summer, most likely in June.

Edit: If the built-in DVD drive is not strictly necessary, maybe consider the Macbook Air. It's thinner and lighter which should be good for carrying around at college, it has a higher resolution screen, and it will feel faster in its default configuration because it comes with a solid state drive.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Ok, That's much more insightful. I was in the same boat with dual daughters going off to college:

Daughter #1: insisted on a $1200 Dell (she's a Windows fan).
    Daughter #2: insisted on a $1200 Mac (she's a "Dad" fan).

Guess which machine is still running today? :)

Seriously, kids are rough on these things. Daughter #2 comes home with her MBP13 and other than having to literally hose the thing off for her, it runs and looks just like the day I bought it almost 3 years ago.

If for no other reason, I'd get her the rMBP13 because:
    1.) She's female and it's lighter
    2.) Many universities have on-campus Apple centers.
    3.) Apple Care is relatively cheap and painless
    4.) She'll love you more and take care of you when you're old and wearing diapers.

13. ccapman670 macrumors regular

This is sound advice. My Dad bought me a Macbook Pro i7 3 years ago when I went off to college and it's still running great. Finally upgrading the RAM and putting an SSD in it. On the other hand my sister got an Asus laptop and its been a year and already falling apart with how rough she treats it. If you take care of them the Macbook Pro's will last a while.

Keep in mind the rMPB13 can't be upgraded later, so max out the RAM and whatever else you see yourself wanting in a few years.

14. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Definitely the 13" unless she's an art or design major. They're lighter to carry around, and they fit better into backpacks and other cases. Definitely get a case like the Incase neoprene sleeve. It will keep the aluminum looking nice for the next few years. As for retina vs. not retina, my college bookstore says non-retina unless you're art or design or something like that. According to them, the battery life on the regular MBPs is better since it doesn't have to power the stronger display. The 2012 non-retinas have certainly improved since I got mine in 2009. Also consider getting an external hard drive for backups. Losing a paper or class notes is the worst! If you can, get a new machine so you can get AppleCare. I didn't have to use mine until I'd had it for 2 1/2 years, but it was certainly worth purchasing it.

15. Bigdawg4 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks y'all...I really appreciate the advice and Im sold on the MBP13! The bad thing is she will have one and I'm still lugging around a Dell...:mad: