Preparing to Move to New Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by regelfolgen, Aug 11, 2009.

1. regelfolgen macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My four year old iMac G5 is now old and cranky (it hates Safari, Firefox, Java and sometimes waking from sleep doesn't work) and I think it's time to wave bye-bye and say hello to a MacBook Pro.

I am anticipating disposing of the G5 via a trade-in arrangement. I have been told that as part of this, my files can be transferred. However, I do not want to hand over my iMac to someone with my files still on it. Also, I personally like to set up a new computer by myself.

Therefore, I need to copy all my files and settings beforehand and wipe the hard drive.

I've seen the blurb here and on other sites on how to get as much data wiped off the hard drive before sale. I'm reasonably confident I should be able to copy my important files to a DVD.

What I don't know is if and how I can copy and save my network settings (or keychain) and transfer those to the new MacBook. This is quite important, because I can't for the life of me recall how to gain access to my wireless network. I don't want to take a new computer home and find out that I need to set up the network afresh or face being without the internet.

So – is there a way of collecting my network access info and storing it on a disc or drive?

Also, and this is obviously not a technical issue, are there any good tips on physically cleaning the iMac, especially the keyboard, without resorting to dishwasher roulette?

Thanks.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

The easiest option would be to keep your iMac G5 until you bring home your new MBP, then plug them into eachother and use the migration assitant. I think you'll need a firewire cable. Once thats done, pop in the OS instal disc into the iMac and wipe it if you like.

-Omi

3. regelfolgen thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that's the easiest option, I'm just not sure it's feasible given that I am going down the trade-in route.

And I don't have a firewire cable.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Clone to an external HD (make a bootable copy with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper)
    2) Erase the G5 with install disk's Dusk Utility (overwrite it oodles of times)
    3) Reinstall Leopard from install disks
    4) Manually pull info from the external HD into your new computer (if I've really gummed up the works on an old machine I do a clean install on the new machine, and manually reinstall apps, and drag over needed files, preferences, etc.)

6. regelfolgen thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it safe to assume that all these references to Leopard apply to Tiger?

Even if I clone the hard drive contents (and could I use my iPod for this?) how do I drag over my preferences?

7. zombieflanders macrumors member

Cool! That's the best guide I've seen on preparing an old Mac for a new owner. I'm just about to sell my MBP, and I was wondering how to go about cleaning it off for the new owner. Apart from an optional section on removing a Boot Camp partition (which I found elsewhere), that's exactly what I needed.