Prepay Micro SIM for Spain?

LJ50

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I'm heading to Spain (from the UK) in a few weeks for what I think is a well-earned holidays.

I've been looking around online to find a micro SIM for the iPad, but to be honest most of the sites offering these seem seem less than trustworthy, and the packages on offer seem over-complex as if they are trying to trick you into buying something worthless.

All I'm looking for is something like a 1GB prepaid data-only micro SIM to use for the week and throw away.

Can any fellow posters recommend a retailer and/or package?

Thanks

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
There is no legal way to buy Spanish sim cards outside of Spain. You need to buy one when you get there.

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/page/Spain+-+Yoigo

I know there are 2 good internet sims sold in Spain, one by Yoigo and another by Mas Movil. Try one of The Phone Shops in Spain as described in the article.

To be honest, I was unsuccessful on a number of occasions when I was there as I don't speak Spanish and finding someone who speaks English in those shops is difficult + most of the time I was driving past one of those shops they were closed :D Siesta!

P.S. There is also forum here on Spain/Portugal: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/spain-portugal/

I'm heading to Spain (from the UK) in a few weeks for what I think is a well-earned holidays.

I've been looking around online to find a micro SIM for the iPad, but to be honest most of the sites offering these seem seem less than trustworthy, and the packages on offer seem over-complex as if they are trying to trick you into buying something worthless.

All I'm looking for is something like a 1GB prepaid data-only micro SIM to use for the week and throw away.

Can any fellow posters recommend a retailer and/or package?

Thanks

Comment

LJ50

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for the response.

Seems a bit of a minefield!

Comment

Factor1

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I use "Orange" here. They have a prepaid microSIM for iPad. I paid 35 Euro for the card, and each day that I use it, it deducts 3.5 Euro from the balance.

With my limited Spanish speaking capability, I was surprised at how easy it was!

Their FAQs are here

Comment

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I'm UK bound in June, from the US. I bought my UK PAYG sim on ebay. There's a guy with decent feedback selling them for Spain too.

Comment

LJ50

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I use "Orange" here. They have a prepaid microSIM for iPad. I paid 35 Euro for the card, and each day that I use it, it deducts 3.5 Euro from the balance.

With my limited Spanish speaking capability, I was surprised at how easy it was!

Their FAQs are here
Thanks, that looks ideal. I don't mind paying 35 EUR for a weeks data, depending obviously on any limits.

Is there anywhere easy to pick one up?

Thanks

Comment

Factor1

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks, that looks ideal. I don't mind paying 35 EUR for a weeks data, depending obviously on any limits.

Is there anywhere easy to pick one up?

Thanks
Orange stores are located throughout Spain (find them here) .

Used mine this weekend while riding the AVE train across the country at 300 km/hr. Some spotty coverage in some of the rural areas, but good connectivity near the towns. Basic web browsing, Facebook, etc.

Comment

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
When I was there a few months ago,

Nearly all the English bars/cafes and some of the Spanish bars/cafes had free WiFi if you bought a drink. :D

Its all I used while I was there hic! :D

Comment