Preperations and Concerns with Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Ebak, May 28, 2009.

1. Ebak macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I got a 2nd Gen iPod Touch for Christmas and I have recently been thinking of Jailbreaking it to give me access to certain things not normally avalible.

However, I am concerned about it as I don't want to end up with a "bricked" iPod. For that reason, I ask for, in detail, a way of fully restoring the iPod should anything go wrong at all?

If it was to work fine, how would I "un-jailbreak" my iPod if I ever wanted to go back?

Is it worth Jailbreaking in peoples opinion?

What are the risks? It was a Christmas gift from my sister. I can't afford to replace it or repair it and thus, if anything goes wrong, I'm screwed, unless I can restore it.

Finnally, I downloaded redsn0w for windows to jailbreak my iPod with, is this the best program to use? Also is there anything about Jailbreaking I should know before attempting it?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I don't have a 2nd gen but I do have a 1st gen and I think it is well worth the jailbreak. I get to theme my iPod instead of having to put up with the typical everyday boring icons I get to have ones I like :D.

as for jailbreaking the main application that seems to be giving 100% success is QuickFreedom. Just so you know you cant actually brick an iPod if you mess up the jailbreak process, people report on their iPod being bricked when in fact they just never followed the process properly. This is easy to recover from you just need to follow the instructions to put the device into DFU mode then restore in iTunes and your back to normal unjailbroken device.

jailbreaking programs also depend on the system you use too, as you will notice QuickFreedom is for windows. If you have a mac you could check this tutorial out: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155840

3. Ebak thread starter macrumors newbie

What about preparing to Jailbreak my iPod? Should I clear my iPod of everything prior?

Edit: I have downloaded QuickFreedom, however it says I do not have LIBUSB installed when I have installed it using their installer and then done a restart. Yet it always says I do not have it.

4. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

quick help guys, can i jailbreak a 1g 2.1.1 itouch or do i need to upgrade to 2.2.1? Im using quickpwn in my mac and it just doesn't recognize the device when i plug it it.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

may aswell go with 2.2.1 and use quickpwn with your 1st gen iPod

6. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

so i need to install the 2.2.1 right? My friends itouch(1g 2.1.1) is not being recognized when i plug it in to use Quickpwn. Im guessing it needs to be upgraded to 2.2.1 or is there a way to jailbreak the current 2.1.1? Just asking because im at work and i cant seem to be able to download the 2.2.1 files so.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you want to jailbreak 2.1.1, you might need to find and download the version of quickpwn that works with 2.1.1. In other words, either way, you need to find and download something, so why not just upgrade to the latest firmware?

8. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

makes perfect sense, i was jsut asking since im at work and i cant at this moment download 2.2.1 for some weird reason. You know how they block some sites. As soon as i get home i'll do that.. and then quickpwn should work. Thanks a mil

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

2.1.1 was the version preinstalled on the 2G touch and was only made to fix a syncing issue with said device. It was never available as a software update for 1G owners...

10. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

I've downloaded both quickpwn and pwnage tool but quickpwn doesn't automatically detect itouch and i cant select it to continue. When i use pwnage tool i need to look for the original software. Now my problem is that when i download the firmware from any of these sites i get a zip file, after i extract the zip file it doesn't give me that ispw file, it gives me a folder with some other files in it but neither are a firmware bundle. Also pwnage tool says that the firmware folder begins with v2... or something and the files i download says "Ipod2,2.... I would really i appreciate your help guys as I've spent several nights trying to do this and i feel useless when i cant complete a challenge.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

put your ipod into recovery mode and hit restore...... it should contact the apple servers and download the 2.2.1 firmware. Failing that you can obtain 2.2.1 from here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ - iPod Touch 2G (2.2.1/5H11a)

your safari is set to open programs after downloading, you will need to disable this in the settings.

1. Open Safari.
    2. Select 'Preferences' from the Safari menu.
    3. Click the 'General' icon in the toolbar.
    4. Uncheck 'Open safe files after downloading'.

The folder you are talking about is the extracted ipsw file, the zip file is the ipsw file if this is on your hard drive rename it to .ipsw from .zip then retry.

12. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

im jsut having an issue after i build the ispw file.. when it says "connect device" i do and then nothing happens, as if it wasn't recognizing it. I opened itunes so it would detect the device and still doesn't recognize it.. Same thing with Quickpwn.. it just doesn't detect the itouch.

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

14. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

yaeh i tunes does detect it.. I was able to install 2.2.1 so its updated to the latest software.. The problem is that non of the aplications are noticing when i plug the device in. Thanks alot for your help guys.. this is so frustrating..

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

duuuhhh stupid me I know whats wrong seriousy I wonder about myself sometimes lol

quickpwn and pwnagetool will only work with 1st gen iPod Touch hence your problem. Best bet is too use redsn0w

download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/uinzthnj3do/redsn0w-mac_0.3.zip

and do the following (taken from the readme file):

1. Either connect the iPod in DFU mode to the computer OR Follow the step-by-step DFU instructions with the program
    2. Start Terminal (in the Utilities folder under Applications)
    3. Type 'cd ' (cd space)
    4. Drag the redsn0w folder into the Terminal window
    5. Push enter
    6. Type './redsn0w' and push enter

you will know it's worked when you get back to the home screen you should have a new icon called cydia

dfu mode:

make sure your iPod is plugged in to pc/mac before starting.

your iPod should turn on then once it is on, hold down the home and power buttons till the display goes blank and let go of buttons.

wait a couple seconds and hold the home and power buttons down for 10 seconds.

when you get to 10 let go of the power button only and keep holding the home button.

depending on your system windows can take upto 30 seconds for iTunes to detect it and macs are 10 seconds.

eventually iTunes will pop up saying it's detected an iPod in recovery mode and hopefully your good to go to jailbreak