Preping a 3GS for sale?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Altoid, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Altoid macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3GS that I'm going to sell and I'm wondering the best way to sell it jailbroken and unlocked but not have any of my data on it? Does anyone have a step by step process for that? Should I just wipe it and sell it that way? Or should I wipe it and put it on 3.1.2 or 4.01? I want do what ever will maximize it's value on ebay.

For reference I have it currently running 3.1.2 on firmware 04.26.08. I have my SHSH Blobs on file from 3.1 to 4.01 with Cydia. Is it worth any more money on the old firmware now that it's unlockable on all firmwares? Also, this is a launch day 3GS with the original bootloader.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would be worth more on the latest ios jb and unlocked.
    Restore tru iTunes, setup as new. Jb with jailbreakme.com and unlock with ultrasnow.

3. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

I have a 3gs running ios4 jailbroken. Once I unlock it with Ultrasnow how would I use it with another carrier? For instance Verizon? Would I just get put into a Verizon Sim Card? I have a buddy with a BB Storm 2, would his sim card fit into my iphone?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Verizon is not a choice, T-mobile in the US

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You for real dude?

6. mainomega macrumors 6502

LOL... can you show me your verizon sim ?

DFU restore to a standard IPSW then jailbreak and unlock

7. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

sorry to bump an old thread but i'm getting ready to prep my 32gb 3gs for sale. after reading through the numerous threads about jailbreaking/unlocking i'm still a bit confused about the sim card. so if someone could confirm that this is the best procedure:

1. restore phone as new through itunes
    2. use jailbreakme.com to jailbreak (i'm still on 4.01)
    3. use redsnow to unlock?
    4. remove sim prior to sale?

thanks in advance.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

www.jailbreakme.com
    cydia
    ultras0w
    after it activates you can remove the sim if you like.

9. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Say what?

I know that Verizon and Sprint sport SIM cards in their "world phones" which have both CDMA and GSM ability. The GSM part does not work in the US, it is made for being used overseas at very high roaming charges by people who frequently (multiple times a month) travel.

The Verizon SIM cards are NOT for Verizon's network. They are for Vodafone, a cellular company in Europe that Verizon contracts out to.

There are CDMA SIM-like cards, called R/UIM cards, but those are in China, Japan, and Korea. The US CDMA network is incompatible with theirs, nor will these R/UIM cards allow an iPhone to work on a CDMA network.

The short of it:

No matter how much people talk about it, the iPhone will not be on Verizon until LTE is commonplace at the soonest.

10. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

thank you for being nice!

11. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I sold my 3GS after getting an iPhone 4. I had all my SHSH on file with Cydia from 3.1 up to 4.0.1. I then restored the iPhone 3GS to a factory 4.0.1 state. This way, I'm selling an iPhone that is legit and can be taken to any Apple store anywhere. But at 4.0.1, anyone can jailbreak it or unlock it. But if they screw up the phone, it's on them, not me. The buyer can go online and learn how to do it just like everyone else. While it is perfectly legal to jailbreak, it also voids any warranty or any possibility of Apple doing a repair or battery replacement. As an aside, the 3GS sold on eBay for more money that it cost me to buy the iPhone 4. Other than the LED and the forward facing camera, I think the 3GS is a better iPhone. But then I'm a sucker for getting the latest.

12. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

sorry to bump an older thread but i wanted to be sure i did this correctly. i too have prepped my 3gs for sale. i was going to restore the phone as new via itunes as stated above but when i tried it said that it was going to install the latest software (4.1). i purposely stayed with 4.01 so i could jailbreak. so here's what i did:

1 - on the phone i went into settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings
    2 - went to jailbreakme.com and jailbroke the phone
    3 - unlocked via ultrasn0w
    4 - removed sim

did i cover all my bases? thanks in advance for any replies.

13. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

Can someone please confirm I did this correctly?

14. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

the way i sold my 3g was as follows:

1) restored to 4.0.1
    2) jailbreakme site
    3) ultrasn0w
    4) removed sim, and never logged in to itunes

the moment i rebooted, it said that it's not activated, but it let me in to the main home screen. then i removed the card, and it still worked fine, so i'm not sure if it was activated or not... either way the person i sold it to had no problems with it.

15. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

I just wanted ro be sure that wiping the phone via settings was good enough of a wipe to get all my info off. When I checked the phone all my contacts, apps, texts and music were gone so I'm assuming that was enough. Plus i removed the sim.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, do what definitive suggested. Your order is missing some steps.