Prepping "backup" of current iPhone for the 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DylPickle85, Oct 11, 2011.

1. DylPickle85 macrumors member

For those of you who already own an Iphone and are planning on upgrading with the iPhone 4S, how are you planning on starting with your new phone?

I'm thinking of just using the "backup" of my current phone (3GS), and getting right back to business, with all my contacts, settings, apps, etc intact. However, doing so *may* have the downside of potentially slowing down the new phone (I know, it's blazing fast, but still would like to start out on the right foot). Other options is to re-build from the ground up as a whole new phone and try to get it all back to where I started by manually adding bits and pieces, etc.

Thoughts?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

4. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

how is it going to slow it down at all? I would just plug it in and restore from my iPhone 4 backup lol:D

5. DylPickle85 thread starter macrumors member

Similar to how a hard drive fragments data over time, a similar thing happens with the back-up file (so I've heard). Pieces of data are stored in an incoherent manner, taking the phone longer time to access (over time, as bits are added, and later deleted, causing "gaps" in accessing memory). Perhaps this idea doesn't apply? I know of people in the jailbreak community who do it this way for the sake of preserving their phone's speed when upgrading OS...don't any of you notice a slow-down in your current phone's performance when upgrading the OS as it pulls from your "back-up" file?

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've always used a back up and have never experienced an detriment to the performance. Besides I refuse to lose all my settings, texts, game saves, and other valuable data.

7. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I don't think that really applies to storage formatting these days. Maybe back like 10-15 years ago..

I mean you don't really need to "defrag" you computer anymore do you?