prepping for a move to imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by EGS1550, Nov 13, 2013.

1. EGS1550 macrumors newbie

I have an old MacPo 1,1 and plan on updating to the new imac soon. I have dozens of CD's and DVD's with software, clipart, fonts, etc and will be losing the superdrive when moving to the imac.

So I want to make exact copies of these CD's. What is the best way of doing so? I know audio CD's dont always allow for this and am not concerned. I just want to be able to install some of these to my new imac when the time comes

Will any software CD/DVD's not function properly? My main concern is my Adobe software. Almost all other programs I use now are downloads so that is not a problem

i will produce these virtual copies and upload to my dropbox, googledrive, etc so they are always available

I think it will help too in case of breakage, loss, etc

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Create ISO files or dmgs out of them with Disk Utility.

Insert the disc. In Disk Utility, click New Image. Follow the instructions. Done.

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

If you still require a DVD/CD drive then just buy the USB Superdrive and connect to your new iMac when required.

I couldn't be bothered to transfer all that crap from CD. Far too time consuming.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I agree, xfer it as and when its needed, you'll probably find half of it you wont use.
    If the superdrive is too expensive or as in my case just seems very poor value for occasional use, there are many far cheaper drives you can buy, thats what I've done it will live in a draw most of the time.

5. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I agree with those saying to get a Superdrive (or comparable 3rd party brand). I've probably used mine a few dozen times in the past two years but it is still nice to have when you need it. I think you can also remotely use the disk drive on any other computer on your network (Mac or PC) but I've never tried that feature.

6. EGS1550 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. I will take all into consideration.