Prepping iPhone to Sell

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CardboardDoom, Mar 17, 2011.

1. CardboardDoom macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm not really sure this is the right place to post this, but I have my iPhone 3G that's pretty much been doing nothing since I got my iPhone 4. It's currently on 4.1, which I plan on jailbreaking and unlocking before selling. My main concern is making sure I remove any trace of my personal info off of it. What's the best way to jailbreak/unlock/remove all my data? Thanks.

2. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

I did this:

restore to factory without using a backup.

it was then clean.

DO not do an update, I would leave that version on it for the one who buys it.

GL.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try this below:
    Your baseband right now on official 4.1 is not unlockable so the only way to do it would be by installing the ipad BB.
    Or just restore it and sell it as is on 4.2.1
    Then the buyer can do whatever he wants and unlock it himself if he chooses to put the ipad bb on it and lose the GPS function.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12949

4. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

I agree, I only JB after being asked to.

5. CDutch macrumors regular

I'm looking to sell my old iPhone 3G as well. I've restored it as a new phone but for some reason, my cell phone number is still displaying in the header of the contacts section within the green phone application. I thought it might be the SIM card but I removed it card and my number is still displaying. Is there a way to make sure that my number isn't displayed in the contacts section?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can restore it without your simcard in.
    Then the buyer would have to activate it himself with another AT&T sim or hactivate it if they would like.