Prepping my 3G for sale. what to do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tikitommy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. tikitommy macrumors regular

Hey all,

I'm plan on getting v4 of the iPhone and planned on selling my jailbroken 3G on ebay to subsidize the cost. Its a 3G running 3.1.2.

The battery life is so-so. I thought if I returned the phone (formatting it first) to Apple for another 3G due to poor battery life (im still under AppleCare), would I be able to jailbreak the new 3G easily?

From what I've read it looks like there's backing up your package on Cydia, or using Spirit to JB if the new 3G I get is 3.1.3. I think I backed up on Cydia. If i go to Cydia, i don't see the backup button anymore.

1. Should I even bother doing the swap-out? Just sell the phone as is? Battery life is so-so but everything else is in great shape.
    2. If I swap out at the Apple store, will i be able to jailbreak and unlock it for sale on ebay?
    2a. It if I get a new 3G with 3.1.2, will i be able to restore to 3.1.2 from Cydia. I still have my pwnage tool backup.
    2b. If i get a new 3G with 3.1.3, what are my options for jailbreaking and unlocking. I'm guessing the phone will be more marketable if jailbroken and unlocked.
    3. When selling on ebay, is it preferable to sell the phone in as new condition or already jailbroken and unlocked.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help. This is by far the most helpful forum.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you swap it out thru Apple chances are you will get firmware 3.1.3 and you wont be able to sell it unlocked. Just JB.
    If your 3G on 3.1.2 is in decent shape you can get a good amount selling it unlocked and JB.

3. tikitommy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks dude.

I'm assuming:

Restore to wipe info, remove SIM, re-JB, then unlock.

My 3G is Firmware 5.11.07

Should i use Redsnow for JB and ultrasnow for Unlock?
    or
    Blackrain/Blacksnow for jb/unlock?

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

A restore won't wipe any data. I'd recommend Erase All Content and Settings, then restore a Pwned firmware created from Pwnage Tool. You can use a 3.1.3 firmware and it will keep your baseband at 05.11.07. You can then use blacksn0w but it tends to be buggy from what I have read.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. Just so u don't accidentally update to 3.1.3 just restore to 3.1.2
    and then redsnow and blacksnow after thru cydia. That's what I would do.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

boy can we get a sticky of a how to sell thread and what to do. Seems like a good idea to me. I will admit however I am not the guy to do it. not that they sticky much here or people actually read them if they do! :rolleyes:

7. OceanView macrumors 65816

Question for the OP:

You think Apple will give you a new phone just because the battery is just so-so, so I would like to ask, what is so-so?
    For example. are you only getting 5 hours on a full charge ?
    Just wondering.

8. tikitommy thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly, after having it for one year, I told them it was holding half the charge from when I originally got it (2nd week of 3G). I had jailbroken that one and restored it before taking it in. Since I had AppleCare, the swapped it with another 3G. They had asked if I had jailbroken it, i said no, but it had the battery percentage before the 3GS officially introduced it. They still took it.

As for current battery, listening to internet radio drains the battery in 3 hrs. Doesnt last a day in normal usage.