Prepping my iMac for resale

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qcom, Apr 21, 2010.

1. qcom macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I'm slightly sad to say, but after converting from a hardcore PC user to a devoted Mac fanboy, I have decided to switch back again...

It honestly isn't because I don't like the OS. I LOVE the OS, but I can't STAND all of the incompatibility between certain professional programs, and I hate having to ask 'is this available for macs?'. Additionally, gaming on a Mac is a JOKE! I thought I would stay true to my iMac so I bought a game or two, and they ran HORRIBLY!! I don't know why, but they don't seem built to run the games.

I digress, and apologize for my rant! :p

Anyway, to the main question at hand, I am looking to wipe my iMac for resale to some 'lucky' individual on eBay or Craigslist. Now, I would really like to sell it with some of my beastly software included, such as the Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (Web Premium) and iWork 2008 AND 2009. Yet, if I do a massively clean install, and prep it for someone to take it so that all of my personal data has been carefully removed, how do I keep the software installed?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread, I didn't know where else to turn..

Thanks,

BOSS

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If there's something you need for work, you probably should've looked into that in advance.

That's why (the only reason) I have Windows installed on my Mac. Games run wonderfully on that.

You don't. You'd have to reinstall it afterwards.

3. thecheda macrumors 6502

Prep

I am also wondering about how you would clear all your data. I know data recovery is insane nowadays. A single reinstall doesn't seem enough...

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Reboot to the computer's restore disk, select English, go to Utilities -> Disk Utility, select the hard drive, Erase, Security Options -> 7-pass erase, Erase.

5. XxxMadCowxxX macrumors newbie

XxxMadCowxxX

I think maybe i should sell my MacPro ;(

Need some cash ;(

6. qcom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the responses.

Now, if I take something such as the Adobe Creative Suite, and I reinstall it after I reboot to the computer's restore disc, and then '7-pass erase' my HDD, that means I would have to create a new username, doesn't it... That's not really all that bad, but I am just wondering.

Also, would I need to include the install discs? Or should I just leave the actual programs on the machine?

7. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

depending on how paranoid you are you could just install a new / different drive into the iMac and then reinstall SL.

8. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

if the software is legit, you would have to provide the installation disks.

if it's not, then don't even include it.

9. qcom thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course mine's legit :D, but yeah, I guess I'll have to make that decision whether or not I'll include it. Do you think it'll add enough value including it?