Prepping my macbook for sale

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marchellobb, Mar 21, 2011.

1. marchellobb macrumors member

I'm trading my white macbook for a ipad. It has the latest osx version 10.6 but i dont have the cd for it anymore. Can I delete all my files and cookies and stuff but leave the OS intact like new for when my trader comes pick it up?

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can. Load Snow Leopard after you erase the HD if you want.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Technically you can trash all of the contents, but that will still leave files behind that can be recovered with any data recovery software. You need the install discs to completely wipe the HDD and reinstall the OS.

4. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

the guy seems like he can barely use a computer, i'm not afraid for my security too much. I just need to know if i can give him a computer with 10.6 that looks brand new with still 150gb of free space left without having to buy another snow leopard disc

5. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah you can, but for 30 bucks, if it was me I'd buy a SL disc.

6. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

How do I delete all my files and make it look as clean as possible?

7. Cap41 macrumors 6502

in accounts, create a new account with admin privileges. i have made it user: admin, PW admin. once you have done this. log off, and back on under the new account. THen delete your old account. It will delete all your files, preferences, media etc. its the only way without buying disks and restoring.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Id do a secure empty trash of everything in your account before you remove it from settings>accounts.