Prepping rMBP for selling it, how to clear my data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by naked, Jul 30, 2012.

1. naked macrumors member

Long long story short, I have two rMBPs. The second arrived today, and I'm selling the first one. How do I wipe it clean, and return it to the state that it was in when I received it? I've been a Mac user for a while, but this is the first time selling one.

Thanks.

2. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Bucket of water will work :cool:

----------

Only joking

You can re-install the OS but you might want to wipe the data first.

When ever I sell PC's or Mac's I fill the HDD with rubbish until full, this overwrites everything then do a secure delete of that data

Then do a fresh OSX install via stick or DVD

3. mackid1993 macrumors member

1. Shut your machine down;

2. Turn your machine on again while holding Option;

3. Select "Recovery HD";

4. Click on Disk Utility;

5. Select your SSD and Click the Erase Tab-- then hit the erase button. This will format the drive;

6. Now simply reinstall OS X as you normally would.

You should have a copy of Mountain Lion in your AppStore purchases from the Up to Date program. When you select "Reinstall OS X" you will be asked for your AppStore credentials. Input them-- and begin downloading OS X. Naturally, you need to be connected to Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps!

4. naked thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, though normally I'd use the install CD.

If I make a ML USB installer, would that install of ML be tied to my account info at all?

5. mackid1993 macrumors member

Making a USB installer would be the best route to go in my opinion. I wasn't sure if that would be an option for you.

In my experience, an installer is just an installer. In order to tie iCloud or the AppStore to an actual account, you would have to input that user's information. So, no, I don't believe that anything will be tied to your account. The only issue, is if the buyer decides to restore the machine, he/she will have to obtain an installer themselves... or buy a license. Not really your problem though.

6. wethackrey macrumors 6502

No. The OS installer is not affiliated with your Apple account. Going the installer-on-usb-key route would save you a couple of hours of download time. You'll want to keep the installer around anyway for your remaining MBPr.

----------

This is an interesting point... but I don't believe you need to show proof of purchase of the OS in your Apple App Store account to reinstall an OS with the Recovery HD. This isn't to say you might not need an App Store account (not sure on that), but I'm quite certain you don't need to have a purchase record in your App Store purchases in order to do a reinstall.