Prepping/unlocking 3G for resale

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by brijazz, Jun 3, 2010.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I am planning on selling my old 3G. It is jailbroken (using PwnageTool), but not unlocked. Firmware 3.0 is installed, with the 4.26.08 baseband. I no longer have a SIM for the phone (as it was transferred to my 3GS when I purchased it).

I would like to remove all of my personal data/apps/etc., and then unlock it for resale. Here's what I've done so far:

1) restored the iPhone using the custom 3.0 firmware that was created using PwnageTool
    2) selected "Set Up As A New Phone" when prompted

If I run UltraSn0w as my next step, will this leave me with a "clean" unlocked iPhone3G?

2. vertigomhs macrumors member

you should do this instead...

go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings (this will erase all your data, as well as all the files used in the jailbreak so backup what you need!)

^ this should take a good while, maybe an hour+

after this, restore to version 3.1.2 (not 3.1.3! as that will null the unlock) and set it up as a new phone

get the 3.1.2 for your version of the phone at:

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

after that, jailbreak with spirit @ http://www.spiritjb.com/

and then unlock it with ultrasn0w or whatever the hell its called now :D

this ensures your phone is up to date with the latest apple firmware, and the latest jailbreak and unlock.

good luck on your sale!

3. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Any advice on how to test if the unlock is working? The only SIM that I have is the one that's in my current 3GS (which is on a contract with an "official" iPhone carrier).

BTW, thanks for the link to the firmware downloads. I had wanted to go this route initially, but didn't know where I could get the 3.1.2 firmware.

4. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

My suggestion ask a friend who has T-Mobile or something, to pop their sim in it real quick. If the Carrier tag reads T-Mobile your good to go.

5. vertigomhs macrumors member

no problem, here to help;)

im off to selling my 3gs as well...