Prepurchase - video editing questions / 10.6?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcx3, Dec 22, 2008.

1. dcx3 macrumors member

Have been waiting for a while now to buy my new MBP. Will be able to purchase after the first of the year, however with talk of 10.6 - should I wait for that?

I will be doing all the regular student activities such as writing papers and web, but will also have CS3 Design installed as well as Final Cut Express.

I would max out the ram to 4gigs, but with the talks of 10.6 - will the ram be increased to handle more? If so, I might want to wait.

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Unless you don't want to pay the $1xx for the upgrade (I pay 79 for students) there is no reason to hold out.

As always, creative apps love ram. The maximum amount will give you the maximum performance. Any ram limitations would be hardware based, so 10.6 will not enable a system to utilize more ram than 10.5.x (AFAIK).

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Current MacBook Pros can effectively use up to 6GB of RAM. 8GB doesn't work because of a limit imposed by Apple. You should be asking yourself if Snow Leopard will remove that limit.

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

That's already double what Windows versions targeted at consumers can effectively use.