Presentation Options in Classroom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSaint, Aug 3, 2007.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I am a high school English teacher, and I want to make my classroom more presentation friendly. I have no white board or LCD projector. I have considered buying the LCD, but now I'm thinking about a flat panel or flat screen TV.

My questions have to do with running the signal to the projection system. Obviously, I can run lines all over the classroom to the projector, or the TV. But, what are my other options? If I have an Apple TV and a monitor or TV, can I stream wirelessly from my Powerbook? Can I run a Keynote presentation wirelessly (or other media, or whatever the signal)? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. macchappy macrumors member

You COULD hook up a Mac Mini to your TV/Projector, put iWork on it, transfer your presentations to the Mini, and then finally, use the Apple Remote to control the Keynote.

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, but that's getting up in costs, and I'd have another computer to worry with. I want the cheapest route to stream from my Powerbook to a display. I saw a 32" Flat Panel at KMart for $357, down from $500. I think it may have slight damage or is old stock. That's my idea right now...and just run lines where I need to.

Can you stream anything from your computer to Apple TV?

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Not Keynote or PowerPoint presentations (at least at this time). I, honestly, would get a projector and an RF presentation remote, rather than worry about doing any of your shows remotely.

5. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

That's probably a good idea. I just can't spend $600 - $800 right now. Maybe if I keep looking I can find something for a good bit less on eBay. Thanks!

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

does your school have tvs on carts to show movies etc? Can you just borrow one of those and hook your pb up to the tv?
    If you were to buy a tv would it be like an LCD plasma or a regualr tube tv.

7. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

We have four TVs (but no computer adapters available) and two projectors available for checkout. I'm going to try to keep one of the projectors this year and see how long I get away with it.

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

Two thoughts from another teacher...

First, anything you're planning to show with text should be on a pretty big screen. In my opinion, based on experience, a tv will not work nearly as well as you would hope. Even a 32" is pretty small to read text at any classroom distance (generally at least 20 feet to the back of the room). Go with a projector if at all possible.

Second, and more important, you shouldn't be paying for major equipment expenses like this out of your own pocket. Little stuff here and there is not a problem, but big things are the district's responsibility to purchase. I have no idea what your salary scale is like, but a few hundred dollars is probably a significant percentage of it. You or your administrator should make a presentation to the local school board explaining why this is a necessary piece of equipment that can greatly enhance learning. It's their responsibility to provide for education through tax dollars, state aid, etc.

9. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

I'll second that. I've tried the TV approach, and while it's okay in an emergency, it's not an ideal solution. I lobbied the principal for about a year to get an LCD projector for the school. I have used it for pretty much every subject I teach (elementary school), and we've used it for school assemblies. I don't know if it's applicable for your situation and school funding structure, but we were finally able to purchase one through the parent council.

10. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

A few thoughts from a student..

My high school gave each teacher a laptop + tv in the room (32" TV i think..) to use for whatever they needed. The TV was placed in the corner of the room above the teacher's desk. The students in the first few rows could see the tv fine - but the students in the back generally had to get up out of their desk's and sit on the floor / stood by the side of the room in order to see the tv and take their notes.

It was kind of disruptive to the lesson as well - having to wait a minute or two for people to move around before starting notes - and then move back afterwards. Made it more difficult to have a discussion about something and then go straight to notes about it. And it made it difficult to leave if notes ran up until the bell with people rushing to their seats to get their books and other people rushing to get out of the room at the same time :rolleyes:

Because of this, most teachers don't bother with the TV's - and the only one's that do generally used the notes on the screen as if they were index cards - putting up short blurbs to remind themselves what the topic at hand was / for the students to use as subject headers for the lesson and just gave the lesson orally.

If possible, go with a projector - they're easier to read off of for the students, and wont disrupt the lesson nearly as much :)

11. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Thanks for the additional advice. The more I think about it, the more I want to try to push for them to buy an LCD projector for my room. I agree that the TV probably wouldn't be ideal. I'm going to start my year off tomorrow and the next day with a presentation. We'll see how long it takes for them to ask for the projector back.

I don't mind buying one for myself. At least it goes with me if I ever move! They're just so expensive!