Presenters, please weigh in.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rillrill, Apr 29, 2015.

1. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

As a teacher and presenter, I am very interested in the keynote or PowerPoint remote. I currently use my iPhone and a clicker to present to my classes, but it's a hack and clunky as hell. If I were to get a watch, I'd be using it everyday.

Has anyone tried this? How is the battery life using it? And is the remote watch completely through Bluetooth? I have terrible service in the bowels of the school.

Ps I'd probably use the health stuff too, but the remote seems seamless.

2. zed2 macrumors 6502a

I too am interested as an instructor..

I doubt the watch battery will last for a days worth of keynote remote.

Also I'm not sure how it would work with the watch on my fist and clicking the screen with my other hand..

3. Geminix macrumors newbie

I haven't tested the battery impact, but I can confirm it will work over wi-fi. I disabled bluetooth on phone, opened keynote on phone, opened keynote on watch and it worked perfectly.

4. rillrill thread starter macrumors 6502

rillrill

5. Geminix macrumors newbie

Oops I think I misread your original question.

It will certainly work over bluetooth only as well, just tested it.

6. rillrill thread starter macrumors 6502

rillrill

Thanks. I might have to get one of these come September.

Anyone see any YouTube videos on this?

7. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Does anyone know if you can use your Apple
    watch for Keynote/PowerPoint presentations off an iPad, or just your iPhone? I understand that the watch doesn't connect directly to the iPad, but even if it could do it with the iPhone as a relay, I'd be happy.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

Sounds like a terrible idea. Reaching over to touch the watch all the time just doesn't sound very good, and just... awkward-looking.

9. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I agree with this. Now, a unique gesture based system, such as unique wrist motions to control a presentation? That could be useful.

10. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

That would look awkward. It looks like you're trying to whack a fly away from you every time you try to get to the next slide.

It's better the way it is. Raise your wrist, press the Next button.

11. rillrill thread starter macrumors 6502

rillrill

I believe the link I posted says you can use an iPad through an iPhone. Personally, I like to move around with the least amount of stuff. Edit keynotes on iCloud and touch them up on the iPhone. Plug it into a vga projector and go. The fiancé is not going to like it, but I see getting one of these watches in the future.

Anyone try using that satechi remote? It's really a hack that sometimes works.

12. mizzou-apple macrumors member

mizzou-apple

Yes you can. I have my :apple:watch as the remote for my iPad Air 2 using Keynote for presentations. Used it this past Monday for a 2 hour lecture Keynote presentation. Worked just fine (students enjoyed my use of the technology). :)

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

That's excellent news. Thanks!

14. Beechy macrumors member

Beechy

Don't you have to keep raising your wrist to turn the screen back on, and then navigate to the app?

I would have hoped that if you're using a keynote or powerpoint app on the watch, he watch face would not turn off while the app is open... This would make it more usable.

I think I'd still prefer a clicker with laser pointer. Less distracting and more practical.

15. simonx314 macrumors regular

For those who have used their Watch to controls slides, is it better than using the iPhone or a wireless computer mouse? It seems like it would be awkward or slow, especially since it requires two hands instead of just one.