Presenting Graphs for Thesis

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heartlet, Jul 20, 2012.

1. heartlet macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm currently new to Mac, converted from Windows as I thought I should learn how to use a Mac.

I'm writing my thesis in latex and would like to publish my graphs. However I do not know any standard program in Mac that would allow me to do so.

I have tried open office except I do not like the way the graphs look. I am thinking of buying Numbers however judging by the review comments it appears you cannot hide cells (interpreted as columns). This is something I would need to do as my data sets are huge and contain irrelevant recorded information.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced,

Charlotte

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Since you're already using Latex, why not use TikZ and pgfplots? That's what I'm using for my thesis and it works nicely once you get the hang of the basics.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Neat. Wish that would have been around for my dissertation! (Mine was done with LaTeX/gnuplot/PowerPoint). How large are your datasets? The examples I've seen have been pretty rudimentary.

B

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yea, I'm not doing anything fancy. I'll have about five charts in my thesis and those will have less than 100 data points each. But it's nice and easy and looks really good and integrated with the rest.

6. heartlet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I just spent the day trying to install your suggestions.

The one that i found to be simple to install and to use is pgfplots...

I'm quite enjoying this.

Thank you again.