presentModalViewController and Retaincount

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by m4rc0s, Mar 26, 2010.

1. m4rc0s macrumors newbie

Hi *,
    I just asked me how it behaves with the retaincount and presenting a view modal. First some code.

I have the following action in my ViewController:
    Code:
    -(IBAction)showDetailView:(id)sender{
    	detailViewController = [[DetailViewController alloc] initWithDetails:(DetailObject *)detailObject];
    	[self presentModalViewController:detailViewController animated:NO];
    }
    In the DetailViewController there is another Action to close the DetailView:
    Code:
    -(IBAction)closeDetailView:(id)sender{
    	[self dismissModalViewControllerAnimated:YES];
    }
    So far, everything is working fine. I can load a detailed view for several objects and also leave the detailed view and switch back to my main view.

But what about the retainCount of the(se) DetailViewController(s)? Everytime i call the action i allocate a detailview but by closing the detailview i do not release it.

From the Logic i overwrite my variable "detailViewController" on every call. Do I also reserve memory for every call, or is it also overwritten?

Is this a memory Leak? And if, how can I fix it.. :)

Thanks a lot, Marco

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It certainly looks like one. Fix it by releasing the object once you are done with it.

3. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Typically you release it like this:

Code:
    -(IBAction)showDetailView:(id)sender{
    	detailViewController = [[DetailViewController alloc] initWithDetails:(DetailObject *)detailObject];
    	[self presentModalViewController:detailViewController animated:NO];
            [detailViewController release];
    }

4. m4rc0s thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I´ve tried that. But when I switch back from my detailed view the App ends with Bad Access then.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would suspect the issue lies elsewhere then. Better try some debugging to determine what specifically is causing the error. With that kind of info in hand, and relayed to us, we can better help you to troubleshoot.

6. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Whenever you create a controller and present it (either using presentModalViewController, or by pushing on to a navigation stack), you can release it straight away as it will be retained by its new owner and released when removed (popped/dismissed).

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

The code I showed is the correct way to manage this. If you're getting a crash when the modal is dismissed then it's probably due to an error in the view controller's dealloc method. You need to debug that.