preserve battery when laptop used as desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UNCMo96, Sep 23, 2012.

1. UNCMo96 macrumors member

I bought an MBP-R to replace a 2007 iMac. I primarily use the computer as my desktop and have it plugged in. As per Apples website you shouldn't leave the computer plugged in all the time and the battery ideally should be drained and charged every so often. I've also read that you drain and recharge the battery too much it will kill the battery as well. I know on PCs there is software that will allow the battery to be used every so often so the battery gets some use and doesn't go bad. Is there anything like this on the mac?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need software. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. If you're using it as a desktop most of the time, simply unplug every few days and run on battery power for a few hours, then plug back in. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.