Preserving date info with new photos app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ross0, May 25, 2015.

1. ross0 macrumors newbie

In the past, I used iPhoto to move photos from my iPhone straight to my MAC and when I did that I could view info about the photos (e.g., date and time the photos ere taken) through finder. Now that I've upgraded to Photos when I transfer photos from my iPhone to MAC that metadata containing the info from the files appears to have disappeared. When I view the photos in Finder the dates are all the date that I transferred the photos to the MAC, not the dates that the photos were taken.

Does anyone know how to transfer photos from iPhone to MAC using the new Photos app and still retain the date info?

Thanks

2. jasnw macrumors 6502

You might try the Image Capture app (unless Yosemite no longer has that app because of the wonderousness that is Photos!).

This problem you mention is interesting, because Photos seems to want to display your photos based on time downloaded rather than time created. Seems to be using file date/time information rather than the embedded image date/time metadata, which is just wrong. This approach kinda works in a world where all images are immediately streamed into the Apple environment, but doesn't if you are not real-time streaming all photos or are using older scanned photos. Hopefully this is viewed by Apple as a bug to be fixed ASAP rather than a feature.