Preserving iPhone 4 Baseband

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vong, Dec 28, 2011.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

I am finally going to update from 4.2.1 to iOS 5. Only a few problems though, how exactly do I do it while preserving my baseband? I know I can use pwnage tool / redsn0w but which one is more better off? And are there still problems with the jailbreak? I've been reading people having signal issues and such..

2. eastercat, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I just updated with pwnage and I didn't have issues. YMMV.

ETA:I can't open ibooks. Bah.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Pwnagetool and redsn0w are both made by the iphone dev team and use the same exact mechanism to do what they do in regards to baseband preservation. No difference. They should just kill off pwnagetool and limit the confusion.

4. michele5389 macrumors newbie

Where did you download pwnage from? I have tried to upgrade from 4.3.3 baseline 01.59.00. I used redsn0w, created the custom firmware from a 5.0.1 that I downloaded; however, when I attempt to restore to the custom firmware (beginning with bb), I cannot. I get an error message - something about not being supported...cannot remember exactly.

5. MrSandman macrumors newbie

I upgraded and preserved my baseband just fine. I created the custom firmware with redsn0w thenput it into DFU mode and did a command restore thru iTunes. It worked fine. Did you put your phone into DFU mode? Redsn0w has a tool to help you do this if you don't know how.

6. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

Same here. Had no problem. I did not put it into DFU mode the first time correctly and did not work. But did it again and worked fine.

7. michele5389 macrumors newbie

Okay - I downloaded what I thought was the right ipsw. But what I now notice is my phone works fine but it thinks it is a 3gs and not a 4. Can someone point me to the write IPSW to download to create my custom firmware? I have an iPhone 4, unlocked running on T-Mobile with a bb of 1.59.00.

Thanks in advance!

8. noiceT macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by your iphone thinking its a 3gs and not a 4?:confused:

Anyway here is a link to the firmware files:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Just go to iclarified.com, it has everything you need. Any btw for me, redsnow didn't work, so used pwnage, and went through fine. Still some quirks here are there but overall, seems ok. Just reboot and respring first before panicking.

9. michele5389 macrumors newbie

What I mean is when I attempt to download HD themes, Cydia tells me my phone is not compatible.

10. michele5389 macrumors newbie

Okay - I think I know what is going on. The Themes, although HD, may not be supported on iOS 5.

Thanks all. I SEEM to be okay...just trying to get my mms working properly.

11. Terrin macrumors 6502

I just did the same thing. I used Pwnage tool 5.01. It worked great. I think Pwnage tool is more Mac friendly and is better fro preserving baseband. There is good instructions on iClarified. ALso you might need to edit your host file. Since you are upgrading to a newer OS, you want iTunes to point to Apple's servers, not Cydia. OTherwise, you might get a 1600 error.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

dev team's web site

13. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Thanks guys. I am going to preserve baseband with redsn0w since I am accustomed to it and maybe jailbreak with redsn0w or might wait. Been reading all these horror stories with the current jailbreak.