Preserving the battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Philly, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Philly macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought a new macbook pro (an upgrade from my very old G4) and I want to know whats happening to the battery if I keep the thing plugged in to the mains on full charge.

Or, to put it another way, when I'm in "the office" should I keep it plugged in, or use it on the battery once it's full?

Thanks,

Philly

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should use your computer how you want to, not based on pointless concerns about battery life. Batteries can be replaced.

4. Philly thread starter macrumors member

GG....thanks.

Miles....rubbish answer. Wanting to maintain a healthy battery is not a pointless concern.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it is, for a couple of reasons.

1) Batteries can be replaced. Time cannot.
    2) Any "battery-saving measures" you take are not measurable in the end. Your battery does not have a cutoff date or a rating that you'll be able to say you "extended" as a result of your efforts.
    3) All batteries die in the first place.

It's unfortunate that common sense doesn't prevail more often in battery discussions.

6. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Does the battery (or OS) of the rMBP behave like that of the 3rd gen. iPad?

From "Apple: iPad Battery Nothing to Get Charged Up About":
    @miles01110
    Over the years, I've come to the same conclusion... However, if the answer to the question above is "yes", this would bring full peace of mind.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Mac batteries do not function in that way. From the following link, which is included in the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ:

8. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

@GGJstudios
    Thanks. This article does explain how wear is avoided by not charging to 100% (not too quickly, at least). It doesn't specify if the rMBP handles prolonged use on AC any differently than other MBPs, so chances are it's handled the same: we still have to run on battery from time to time.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Mac notebook battery info applies to all notebooks, including the rMBP. It's different than the battery information for iPhones/iPads/iPods.

10. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Alright, thank you.