President Bush looked frail

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Feb 15, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I saw a video of people getting the medal of freedom on msnbc, and president bush (the senior) needed help to stand up and had to hold on to the podium to stand.

2. 184550 Guest

Not surprising given he's, what, 86/ 87?

He should be the next former President to die, correct? Or maybe Carter? They were both born in 1924 and getting up there in age.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

He's getting up their but historically the man has always been in good physical shape. 85 is getting up their but IIRC he is still quite healthy. Both Bush Sr. and Carter are (IIRC) still physically active, even to this day. With that said, politics seems to drain the life out of you, especially the role of President of the United States.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He is getting up there but the prior images I saw of him on TV made him seem a little less frail.

Just a few years ago he was jumping out of an airplane.

I guess this happens to all of us, we age and grow frail :eek:

5. 184550 Guest

That's what I was thinking of when I first read the thread.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'll second that. The man is a true badass.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No surprise since they were both one term Presidents. :)

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Indeed. Look at Hillary Clinton...she's aged a lot and that lady seems to be under stress that I don't think I may ever know. She has always been VERY active politically and very active in outside work as well. Bill Clinton has done amazing work in Africa and Hillary also helps with this (or she did before her current job).

The most classic example is Abe Lincoln. Many museums have pictures of each year he was in office and you can see tremendous aging in the facial features, vitality, posture, and body language. It's likely FDR and Regan may have delayed the onset of their illnesses if they had not been Presidents...this is because extreme stress can both trigger an acute episode or make a risk factor turn into a medical condition.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, as you said, that was before.

I've noticed that too.

I think those high pressure positions do indeed speed up the aging process.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Look at how much white hair Obama has already gotten near his temples. I think it's safe to say he doesn't get much sleep.

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

He probably has one of the world's most stressful jobs. Certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes.