Presonus Firebox & Logic Pro 8 (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by AgitPr0p, Feb 3, 2011.

1. AgitPr0p macrumors newbie

Hey,

I am new to Macs and new to Logic. I'm fairly old school with regard to recording techniques and outboard gear so things digital, aside from mixing in the box on programs like ProTools or Nuendo, are outta my zone of knowledge.

With that said, here is my question and I know some or a number of you can help a brother out...

I just bought a new Macbook Pro and Logic 8 for working at home/demoing/etc. A friend of mine loaned me his Firebox to try out. Now, when I set this up it's pretty self-explanatory. The BASICS of Logic seem intuitive if you've used other audio programs before. So, I am getting signal, able to track and monitor, able to overdub. My question is with latency.

When I listen to Logic's metronome and I am tracking to that, I'm right on the money. My issue is when I add a new track and try to overdub whilst listening to the internal metronome and the previously recorded track. It seems as if there is a slight push/pull between my previously recorded track and the click track. When I play it back, it seems fine. I am pretty rhythmically skilled and although I am human, I know that I am as solidly on the click as one can be...so while my issue may all be in my mind, I really do feel like there is a slight latency issue going on...it's really like I am fighting to find the balance between the click track and the recorded track while I am overdubbing. This isnt an issue when I am overdubbing onto tape or an analog setup. I'm stumped.

Any suggestions where to begin, how to test out my setup and see if it's optimized, pointers for a newbie, etc?

I'm kinda looking forward to learning as I go along, but this is just confusing me.

Current settings in Logic are 24-bit, 44.1khz, and I/O buffer at 256. Also "low latency" is checked and the corresponding slide-setting for that is at like 1-2ms.

Thanks,
    AJP

2. prestomusic macrumors regular

yeah your settings look ok 256 is pretty standard.

one thing to look out for is plugin delay compensation. do some experimenting bypassing plugins that introduce high latency when you are recording/playback and see what happens.

have fun!