Presonus Firebox vs Mbox 2

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mthao00, Nov 12, 2007.

1. mthao00 macrumors member

Alright, here's the situation... I currently own a Mbox 2 with Pro Tools LE 7.3 installed. It's been a pleasure to use and Pro Tools is a great problem but since I'm not looking into transferring my stuff to professional studios, it's not that big of a deal. Plus I would like the option of variety when it comes to audio interfaces and DAWs.

I'm considering a switch to Logic and think the Firebox (or Firepod if I can sell the Mbox 2) would fit the bill. Nothing too fancy, inexpensive, and serves the same purpose.

So keep current setup or move to Logic/Presonus gear? Thanks in advance for the advice. I'm sort of a noob when it comes to audio recording.

mT :apple:

2. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

Alright... no one is giving me any advice. Now, I'm thinking about saving up and purchasing a Apogee Duet. Logic is the way to go...

Initial impressions on the Duet?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, you didn't wait very long. it's evening rush hour for the midwest and east coast of the US.

you like PT but want to go w/ Logic? not sure why, and not sure why you want to go out and spend money on hardware before you even know if you like Logic. it'll work w/ your mbox so why not wait?

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I use the Firebox and Logic Pro 8.

so easy, so good.

i used to have an original Mbox

i sold it because I didn't really like using PT, and the original Mbox was buggy as hell.

The Firebox is the best thing i've purchased in a long time. if you have the $, i would highly recommend getting Logic and the FP

5. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

haha... you're right. I guess it's just the appeal of having Logic with a new interface. I've tried Logic on numerous occasions and it's awesome. Thanks.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ahhh, gear lust and its associated spending. i can definitely understand that.

i always say to pick your software first, then choose hardware. if you dig logic, then great. regarding hardware, i haven't used it, but some friends really dig their metric halo units, so be sure to check out those boxes (if you're good w/ 2 channels, check out the uln-2).

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Pro Tools is a powerful program but it's interface is pure crap. I hated using it. Logic is a lot more intuitive and can do just as much. Either that or Digital Performer are my favorites.

I've used a friends Firepod and it's preamps are quite clean. I'd assume the Firebox is more of the same quality.

8. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

I'm planning on selling the mbox 2 and Pro Tools LE to "partially" fund Logic and whatever interface. It may be a long process but I can't wait.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think these kinds of statements are useful. who cares how PT looks? it does what i need it to and does it fantastically well.

it's great that Logic works for you, but "intuitive" is relative and was definitely not the case for me. if your words cause someone to buy Logic over PT, and they don't grok Logic, what good has been done?

DAW workflows are all different, and everyone works differently. people should try them out and pick the one that suits them best, irrespective of the interface. don't you agree?

10. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

I second that, finding the PTLE interface just fine. If you get the firebox I think you can still use PTLE by using the SPDIFs and then get 4 simultaneous inputs as well as the firebox on it's own.

11. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I own and operate a recording studio, and I use two Firepods and Logic Pro 8. I have used Pro Tools before and I don't like it as much as Logic. (I know, I know...I'm in the minority) I personally think that you should try out Logic before you go all out with the Duet. Your MBox will work with almost any recording software, so you can still try it out with Logic.

If you decide you really like Logic, I'd suggest going with the Firepod over the Duet. True, the Duet has Apogee preamps, which are far superior to the ones in the Firepod, but if you are not a pro, you really don't need that level of superiority (and you may not even notice the difference.) The Firepod has 8 mic inputs, which will give you much more versatility in your recordings (if you ever have to record drums, you will need more than 2 inputs simultaneously)

Hope this helped ;)

12. BreederCreature macrumors member

BreederCreature

I own a FirePod which I use to record my band, but have been looking to get something smaller (with less inputs, 8 is overkill for my needs haha) for personal home demos and use different software (I use GarageBand right now). I've never used ProTools or Logic, so I'm not sure which way to go. Also, I'm not sure if I should get a Firebox or Mbox 2.

If I got a FireBox, would it work with ProTools if I ended up going that route?

Is the recording quality different between ProTools and Logic? Or is it mostly the hardware and how the instruments are recorded?

Thanks!

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

pick your software first. the only way to do it is head down to guitar center or wherever and spend some time in each program. hopefully, you can find someone or someones there who can answer your questions in a non-talk-up-this-one-while-bashing-the-other-one way.

no. PT needs approved hardware, either digidesign or m-audio.

no difference in record quality, that depends on things outside the software (mics, pre's, converters, talent, engineering skill, etc.). the main difference is how well the DAW helps your workflow. there's a ton of overlap in features, though different DAWs will excel at different things.

another difference between PT and Logic is how many plugs/instruments you get; in general, Logic offers more, though a few of the plugs included in PT are quite usable. this issue pales, however, to workflow. imho.

14. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Zim, that's not strictly true, please read the entire thread as I have explained the firebox can be used in PTLE, however you will be limited to two of it's inputs (and two of the mboxs) and 48khz.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, yeah, of course you can come into a digi box with either analog or digital. i get what you're saying, but i don't want to give someone the impression they can get the firebox only and run PT.

16. BreederCreature macrumors member

BreederCreature

Thanks! I'll go with Logic probably since I already own a FirePod, so I'll grab a FireBox sometime.

17. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

But if you're looking to crossgrade it's pretty useful, as it gives the mbox 2 its 4 simultaneous inputs (wtf didn't they give it 4 analogue inputs with defeatable dacs is beyond me however).

18. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

question: will the original mbox work with garageband 3?

is garageband any good and can it hold up to protools at all?