Presonus Firestudio for 399$

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by NickolasSin, Feb 24, 2008.

1. NickolasSin macrumors member

NickolasSin

I just picked up a new Presonus Firestudio for 399$ with a livewire direct box and 1 xlr cable. Good deal? I sort of jumped on the deal and was just curious to whether the interface is great or not? I haven't received it yet...

2. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

That's a pretty good deal if the unit is good shape. I have Apogee and MOTU interfaces myself, but the pre's in the Presonus are fine and FW is a huge improvement over USB2 for audio interfaces.

Most people with the Presonus stuff will want the MSR Remote that goes with it, that's really the "unique feature" (and will set you back another two benjamins if you decide you can't live without it).

Typical of that type of company, there is still no Leopard support (even ProTools/Digi is just now getting this), but there is Tiger support. :(

The one thing that annoys me about that particular interface, and it's a small thing, is the phantom power switches are for inputs 1-4 and 5-8. C'mon guys, how hard would it be to switch this for each input? Damned lazy engineers and cost cutting beancounters! I mean, if you are dropping six or seven benjamins on something like this, the odds of having several condensor mics are probably pretty good, right? To be fair, probably most people with dynamics mics (and I have a box full of SM57s) don't know or care anyway I guess.

Regardless, as long as you are still on Tiger, enjoy your new FW interface! Now stop posting and go record something! :D ;)

Edit: Just curious... Are you going to use Garageband? Or do you have a DAW like Logic Express or ProTools LE or Cakewalk or ???

3. NickolasSin thread starter macrumors member

NickolasSin

I have Logic Pro 8, and Leopard... And the Beta Leopard Drivers the company mailed me a disc of when I called asking for Leopard support.

4. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Google around to see if you can't find other people in the same boat, they might have first hand experience and workarounds using the beta drivers, etc. PreSonus has a forum community that seems to have some Leopard activity: http://forums.presonus.com

5. Zeppelin17 macrumors newbie

condenser mic

I have one firestudio project. It is awesome. A really good piece of equipament. And I got ir for $499, so you got yourself a pretty good deal!

I'm having some trouble with a condenser mic though. I'm trying to use a Sterling Audio ST31 condenser mic, but it doesn't work. I know condenser mics need to be connecter to a preamp and/or phantom power, but I thought the firestudio had both? Could anyone shed some light here :eek: