Press+scroll on mousewheel for horizontal? (mice or drivers)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Weepul, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Weepul macrumors regular

I'm currently using a first-generation Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer (with sensor speed update) on my G5. I have it set up to scroll horizontally when I roll the mousewheel while it is pressed.

The problem is that the new versions of the MS Mouse driver for OS X (since the old version I'm using is PPC only) don't offer as much support for my ooold mouse...horizontal scrolling isn't even an option!

So, I'm hoping people could advise me on what my options are to preserve this mechanic on an Intel Mac. I'm not fond of the tiltwheel scheme on so many new mice...do any support press+scroll for horizontal?

Furthermore, can anyone weigh in on 3rd party mouse drivers? Both USB Overdrive and Steermouse seem like they'll offer the functionality I'm looking for. Any experiences?

2. Weepul thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like I get to be the guinea pig... :p

I'll report back with my findings...once I have tried.

3. Weepul thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I gave USB Overdrive a try and it seems to do what I want and the "feel" (pointing and scrolling acceleration) is similar to what I was used to. Huzzah! :D

I'm slightly disappointed that it doesn't seem to offer me any functionality beyond the older MS IntelliPoint software which still supported my mouse; in particular, I can't find a way to make a custom set of commands for a button click (eg. a quintuple-click or some other sequence of actions for gaming purposes). Am I missing something?

In any case, I'm back where I started in terms of mousing, so I'm happy enough.