Pressing keys and clicking the trackpad physically locks it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bingefeller, Nov 25, 2018.

1. bingefeller, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018

bingefeller macrumors 6502a

I just got my 2018 15" MacBook Pro.

I noticed something that sometimes occurred when I was pressing the command key and clicking to open links in a new tab.

Say I press the command key and try to click on the trackpad about a quarter of an inch from the bottom left or right hand corner sometimes I would be unable to physically press it down. If I keep my finger on the command key and move my clicking finger over to other side of the trackpad displays the same behaviour on that side. The cursor still moves on screen.

It happens with any key I press, it just seems to be a matter of timing and it's an intermittent problem.

Funnily enough, when this happens I can click the middle of the trackpad, just not around the edges. If I keep trying to press it eventually I will be able to.

Is there something am I missing here or am I going crazy? The trackpad appears to be perfect otherwise and this only happens sometimes when I hold down a key and press the trackpad.

I have reset SMC and PRAM.

My settings are as follows:

[​IMG]

2. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an update on this - the problem was getting worse. I would be clicking on the left hand side of the trackpad and I would then go to press the right hand side of it down and it would be physically stuck.

I phoned Apple and have now returned the machine. I was quite disappointed but am now rethinking my options.

3. fokmik macrumors 68040

4. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got a refund. I will go for something else with more hard disk space on it.

5. fokmik macrumors 68040

6. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Seems like you were experiencing palm rejection. There is no “physically stuck” since there are no switches and the click is just haptic feedback.

Do you have a store you can visit to try some others? Maybe yours was defective but you may also find they just behave a bit differently than the mechanical ones.

7. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I'm not sure what that is...

Weird. Yeah there's is an Apple Store I can go and try some others.

8. Diazepam Suspended

Diazepam

I think he meant Macbook Pro with 4 terabytes (TB) of disk space.