Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I just got a XR and I’m so used to 3D Touch that I find myself pressing to open notifications instead of simply long tapping. Any idea if pressing on the phone without it having 3D Touch can have negative effects? I’m not pressing with all my night. Just what one would normally do for 3D Touch

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
As long as you're not pressing super hard on the screen, you should be fine. Instead of pressing hard, you can now hold down on certain things a bit longer to use the same functions you could with 3D Touch, and you can do so with notifications as of iOS 12.1.1 that released yesterday.

It isn't as quick or satisfying as 3D Touch/Force Touch, but it provides the same functionality in some areas. It seems Apple is slowly bringing back those functions from 3D Touch for the iPhone XR with long presses instead with each update.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just got a XR and I’m so used to 3D Touch that I find myself pressing to open notifications instead of simply long tapping. Any idea if pressing on the phone without it having 3D Touch can have negative effects? I’m not pressing with all my night. Just what one would normally do for 3D Touch

I mean, if you’re pushing too hard where you can see discoloration in the display, then clearly that’s too much force you're applying. Otherwise, I don’t think you’re applying _that_ much force where it would be an issue, as the display is fairly durable. 3D touch takes very little force to invoke the action performed.

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Isn’t it how long you touch and not how hard you touch? So just touch like you normally would but longer.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Got to say, with 12.1.1 and the added functionality, I no longer miss anything about 3D touch whatsoever. Getting the same experience with the expanded functions of haptic touch. To think of all the engineering resources wasted on that boondoggle feature

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Got to say, with 12.1.1 and the added functionality, I no longer miss anything about 3D touch whatsoever. Getting the same experience with the expanded functions of haptic touch. To think of all the engineering resources wasted on that boondoggle feature
I just came in to say this exact thing. Since Haptic Touch was enabled for notifications on the lock screen I’ve found that I enjoy it much more than I did 3D Touch. Maybe I had the sensitivity too low but I found it obnoxious how much force it actually took sometimes.

Haptic touch is much easier and feels more natural IMO.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Can you still peak in home screen icon apps?

Or is that the last thing they need
To add ?

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I just came in to say this exact thing. Since Haptic Touch was enabled for notifications on the lock screen I’ve found that I enjoy it much more than I did 3D Touch. Maybe I had the sensitivity too low but I found it obnoxious how much force it actually took sometimes.

Haptic touch is much easier and feels more natural IMO.

Agreed and I’m actually really impressed with how Haptic Touch has been implemented for notifications. Rather than simply having to hold your finger on the display and wait for a response, it’s like a button and the pop comes when you release your finger. It’s pretty much as quick as 3D Touch. Wish they’d do it in the same way with Haptic Touch on the control centre.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Agreed and I’m actually really impressed with how Haptic Touch has been implemented for notifications. Rather than simply having to hold your finger on the display and wait for a response, it’s like a button and the pop comes when you release your finger. It’s pretty much as quick as 3D Touch. Wish they’d do it in the same way with Haptic Touch on the control centre.
Feedback!

They could even do the same with the home screen icons. Hold briefly and release to access options and hold a little longer for access to wiggle mode (with stronger haptic feedback and a different sound perhaps).

Reactions: skillwill

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I actually had to pres pretty hard to install an OtterBox symmetry case. Seems these phones can take a lickin’

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Is it possible to damage the glass with too much pressure while installing a case

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
That’s what I figured. I suppose if installing an OtterBox case broke it it would be a well known thing given their popularity

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I actually had to pres pretty hard to install an OtterBox symmetry case. Seems these phones can take a lickin’

Is it possible to damage the glass with too much pressure while installing a case

OtterBox has had this problem for years, and the install is not necessarily easy. The tolerances are so tight for their specifications, it’s literally very difficult to install the phone without inadvertently damaging it by pushing too hard on the corners or the display. They offer significant drop protection for their phones, but you literally have to have a strategy when applying those cases on the phone, so you don’t damage it in your situation.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
But if there is no visible damage I should be fine right. It wouldn’t damage anything I can’t see

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.