iPhone XR Pressing on XR screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I just got a XR and I’m so used to 3D Touch that I find myself pressing to open notifications instead of simply long tapping. Any idea if pressing on the phone without it having 3D Touch can have negative effects? I’m not pressing with all my night. Just what one would normally do for 3D Touch

2. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

As long as you're not pressing super hard on the screen, you should be fine. Instead of pressing hard, you can now hold down on certain things a bit longer to use the same functions you could with 3D Touch, and you can do so with notifications as of iOS 12.1.1 that released yesterday.

It isn't as quick or satisfying as 3D Touch/Force Touch, but it provides the same functionality in some areas. It seems Apple is slowly bringing back those functions from 3D Touch for the iPhone XR with long presses instead with each update.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I mean, if you’re pushing too hard where you can see discoloration in the display, then clearly that’s too much force you're applying. Otherwise, I don’t think you’re applying _that_ much force where it would be an issue, as the display is fairly durable. 3D touch takes very little force to invoke the action performed.

4. agente46 macrumors member

Isn’t it how long you touch and not how hard you touch? So just touch like you normally would but longer.

5. kre62 macrumors 68020

Got to say, with 12.1.1 and the added functionality, I no longer miss anything about 3D touch whatsoever. Getting the same experience with the expanded functions of haptic touch. To think of all the engineering resources wasted on that boondoggle feature

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I just came in to say this exact thing. Since Haptic Touch was enabled for notifications on the lock screen I’ve found that I enjoy it much more than I did 3D Touch. Maybe I had the sensitivity too low but I found it obnoxious how much force it actually took sometimes.

Haptic touch is much easier and feels more natural IMO.

7. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Can you still peak in home screen icon apps?

Or is that the last thing they need
    To add ?

8. kre62 macrumors 68020

No you cant, thats next I imagine. I used to open private browsing windows using the context menu - thats the last thing I can't do but not a huge deal.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Nope. Still nothing but wiggle mode available. Can’t say I miss it though as I rarely used it outside of just trying it out.

10. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

True. I never did either. Just curious :D

11. skillwill macrumors 6502

Agreed and I’m actually really impressed with how Haptic Touch has been implemented for notifications. Rather than simply having to hold your finger on the display and wait for a response, it’s like a button and the pop comes when you release your finger. It’s pretty much as quick as 3D Touch. Wish they’d do it in the same way with Haptic Touch on the control centre.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Feedback!

They could even do the same with the home screen icons. Hold briefly and release to access options and hold a little longer for access to wiggle mode (with stronger haptic feedback and a different sound perhaps).

13. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

If you were pressing hard enough to do damage on your old phone you would have done so whether it had 3D touch or not.