Pressing too hard on iPad with Apple Pencil?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mjmar, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Just purchased a new 9.7" iPad Pro, which is totally great and amazing. The screen is perfect and it is so fast. I purchased it with the intention of sketching and taking notes at work with Apple Pencil. Yesterday I was just sketching normally (applying about the same amount of pressure as if I were sketching with a real pencil) and at some points I noticed a light blue hue on the screen where the pencil point was applying pressure. Does this mean I am pressing too hard with the pencil? I do not want to damage the screen so I will probably not press as hard next time, but I do not understand how Apple could market this new tool as a replacement to a pencil and paper if only a small amount of pressure could be applied. Totally takes away from the flow of sketching. Anybody else noticing the same thing?

2. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Perfectly harmless. The screen is reinforced with a foam backing for extra protection. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

No. I haven't seen anything like this. I can apply normal pencil pressure.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Did the blue hue go away or was it only there at the moment you applied pressure? You probably were pressing a bit too hard on the screen though it probably didn't damage it. As far as Apple's marketing goes, don't buy into it completely. The IPP is also marketed as a laptop replacement and every reviewer contradicts that claim. Likewise, while I think the IPP is a great tool to *compliment* an artist's tools -- it is also not a replacement for paper and pencil at all times.

When I see someone's IPP artwork being auctioned off next to Warhol paintings or hanging in the Met I will change my stance, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

5. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Warhol did some successful work on Commodore Amigas, haha. If he wasn't dead he'd be using the iPad Pro and loving it. It's not uncommon for artists to have printed "paintings" and photos and sell them for the usual huge sums.

Apple never claimed the iPP was a replacement for an artist's entire toolbox did they? That goes without saying.

There really is no such thing as "IPP artwork" - unless you're dismissing *all* digital artwork, which is very outdated thinking. You're not going to see a difference between an artist's Painter, Procreate or Photoshop art.

The majority of artists (digital and otherwise) aren't aiming to do brick and mortar gallery shows though anyway. :)

- to the OP - whatever app you're using, can you adjust the pressure settings so you don't feel you have to press so hard?