Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrwamck

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
I have an ipad Air 2, ios 9.0.2 JB and I would like to know which Cydia tweak can cause the iPad
to reboot when I try to increase or decrease the volume. I can press the volume buttons just after
the iPad reboots but after awhile if I do it then the ipad reboots. I can't remember or even find which
app or tweak that I installed that could be the culprit. Anyone have any ideas? Would be very grateful.

William

mrwamck

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
Funny, just after I posted my query, I saw at the bottom another post from July 13, 2015
"iphone restart after pressing volume button".

There someone asked if StatusHUD2 was installed and it turns out that I had that tweak also
installed. I removed it and sim sala bim the volume buttons work fine again.

I search through this forums with almost everything I could think of but that post didn't show up
until after I posted mine. I was almost sure I wasn't the first to have this problem but anyway it
is fixed and I'm happy now.

William

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Funny, just after I posted my query, I saw at the bottom another post from July 13, 2015
"iphone restart after pressing volume button".

There someone asked if StatusHUD2 was installed and it turns out that I had that tweak also
installed. I removed it and sim sala bim the volume buttons work fine again.

I search through this forums with almost everything I could think of but that post didn't show up
until after I posted mine. I was almost sure I wasn't the first to have this problem but anyway it
is fixed and I'm happy now.

William
Yeah, StatusHUD is still waiting for an iOS 9 update, let alone 9.3.3.

Generally the best way to troubleshoot something like this is to think about what tweak might be related.

For instance, your problem was with the volume up and down button. I wouldn't be looking through my list of tweaks thinking that Callbar or Eclipse 3 or Couria or so on would be causing this. I'd be looking for something related to volume or sound because that's what is being affected. StatusHUD or some other volume/sound related tweak would have been the one I checked.

When you really have nothing to go on this kind of thinking can really help.

Cydia also has a recents tab and will show in chronological order which tweaks you have installed/updated. It's always best if you start having an issue shortly after installing a tweak to focus on the recent tweaks. In your case this might not have helped as I guess StatusHUD wasn't a recent install.

By the way. Was it really a reboot or just a respring? I know when StatusHUD was causing issues for me it was causing resprings not reboots.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Cydia also has a recents tab and will show in chronological order which tweaks you have installed/updated. It's always best if you start having an issue shortly after installing a tweak to focus on the recent tweaks. In your case this might not have helped as I guess StatusHUD wasn't a recent install.

Too bad that's not as helpful on the first day of the jailbreak when you install dozens of tweaks and don't encounter the problem until a few hours later :mad:

I have an ipad Air 2, ios 9.0.2 JB and I would like to know which Cydia tweak can cause the iPad
to reboot when I try to increase or decrease the volume. I can press the volume buttons just after
the iPad reboots but after awhile if I do it then the ipad reboots. I can't remember or even find which
app or tweak that I installed that could be the culprit. Anyone have any ideas? Would be very grateful.

William
I would also suggest using icleaner to disable all your tweaks, and re-enable tweaks in batches of 10-20 at a time until the problem occurs. And then single out that batch of tweaks until the offending tweak(s) is/are found. (Best way to fix reproducible problems if you don't know where to start even after looking at the tweaks you recently installed/updated)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Too bad that's not as helpful on the first day of the jailbreak when you install dozens of tweaks and don't encounter the problem until a few hours later :mad:
That's true! :D

However, just for myself I decided that when a new jailbreak drops (and I'm stock) that I install no more than 4 or 5 tweaks at a time, not counting the bigger more complex tweaks which I install one at a time.

Takes longer, but I've really screwed myself in the past by just mass installing tweaks from my list.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's true! :D

However, just for myself I decided that when a new jailbreak drops (and I'm stock) that I install no more than 4 or 5 tweaks at a time, not counting the bigger more complex tweaks which I install one at a time.

Takes longer, but I've really screwed myself in the past by just mass installing tweaks from my list.

That's the best thing to do.
Slow down, install, test the hack and make sure it works and doesn't cause any conflicts.
Then install again slowly by verifying as you go.

Reactions: eyoungren

mrwamck

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, StatusHUD is still waiting for an iOS 9 update, let alone 9.3.3.

Generally the best way to troubleshoot something like this is to think about what tweak might be related.

For instance, your problem was with the volume up and down button. I wouldn't be looking through my list of tweaks thinking that Callbar or Eclipse 3 or Couria or so on would be causing this. I'd be looking for something related to volume or sound because that's what is being affected. StatusHUD or some other volume/sound related tweak would have been the one I checked.

When you really have nothing to go on this kind of thinking can really help.

By the way. Was it really a reboot or just a respring? I know when StatusHUD was causing issues for me it was causing resprings not reboots.

Well I really don't know the difference between reboot and respring. I get a white screen with the Apple
logo. Never really cared about the difference.
And yes I did think about some tweak that would affect the volume and I went through the tweaks I have
installed, and they are that many, but I just didn't reflect on what StatusHUD2 did. Just thought it was
a cool tweak.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Well I really don't know the difference between reboot and respring. I get a white screen with the Apple
logo. Never really cared about the difference.
And yes I did think about some tweak that would affect the volume and I went through the tweaks I have
installed, and they are that many, but I just didn't reflect on what StatusHUD2 did. Just thought it was
a cool tweak.

I had the same respring on adjusting volume issue with StatusVol 2, although only in some (I suspect full screen) apps. Turns out if you turn off 'invert colors', 'dynamic colors', 'disable background' and 'hide time', it works beautifully, hasn't crashed once. The only thing is that you'll always have white dots on a black background, instead of transparency.

IMG_0377.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.