Pretty basic iPhoto Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JadeWolf07, Aug 21, 2007.

1. JadeWolf07 macrumors newbie

When I import my pictures from their original files into iPhoto, they always wind up copying into the iPhoto Library folders. Is there any way I can have iPhoto open up the pictures from my original files instead of copying them everytime?

Thanks

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

to prevent iPhoto from copying original files to its library, open iPhoto and go to Preferences > Advanced and uncheck the "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" tab.

3. lorddunstan macrumors newbie

By not copying the photos to iphoto do you save duplicating files and subsequent hd space?

will the e-mail function of iphoto still work if the photo is not in the iphoto library?

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

in order:

yes. by copying the file to the iPhoto library, the app actually takes that file and places a copy of it within its own library system. under this setup, if i have a picture on my desktop and i copy it to the iPhoto library, it will be both in the iPhoto library and on my desktop.

yes, as long as you do not move the files. if you move the files, iPhoto won't be able to locate them. some people consider this an advantage to iPhoto's copy feature: you never have to worry about the location of your pictures - they're protected in the iPhoto library.

5. lorddunstan macrumors newbie

thanks pianoman,

so to save hd space can i safely delete the original files once they have been copied into the iphoto library? ( i have about 17 gb of photos so the saving in space is considerable)

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

yes, but remember if the photos are already in iPhoto and you check the "copy to iPhoto library" they won't automatically copy - you have to basically start over by recopying all your photos to iPhoto while that box is checked.

this sounds confusing so post again if unclear.

7. Broric macrumors regular

Sorry to bump this but I've been searching for the solution. I have a lightroom library with thousands of photos organised into directories. I wanted to just import these into iphoto but the originals also get copied into the iphoto library even though I've unticked the box in preferences...

Any ideas?