Pretty basic iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chimpboy74, Jan 27, 2012.

1. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi
    I have a question which I'm sure should be straightforward but I can't figure it out.

I have my music all over the place on my mac mini (running lion) its a bit disorganised to be honest. Tonight I was looking at iTunes and thought there wasn't enough music on there that I thought. I figured one folder hadn't imported somehow. However I'm surethere is more music there that isn't imported to itunes

My question is: is there a quick way of checking all music files on my macmini and adding the missing ones to iTunes? I certainly don't want to have the hassle of duplicates but I do feel like I'm missing a lot of my music (the example I have is a folder called compilations wasn't added (a lot of the albums in it weren't even compilations so I don't know how they ended up there - like I said my music storage is a bit of a mess)

I've just got iTunes match (which is great) but want to be sure I have all music that I own available

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Are you looking for something more than File -> Add to Library? That's pretty easy. Or you could use Finder and just drag files or folders into the Library section on the upper right part of iTunes. Or, click File then Library then Organize Library and use the Consolidate option.

3. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Thanks for response.

My music has ended up stored all over my hard drive (not just under music - a result of me trying to be clever and failing miserably)

I would like to scan the full hard drive for all music files and add them to iTunes (without ending up with lots of duplicates from stuff already added!)