Pretty Disappointed....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mackage, May 4, 2011.

1. mackage macrumors 6502

...I am pretty much disappointed after waiting months for a refresh that was suppose to be a substantial upgrade over last years iMacs. I think alot of us had unwarranted expectations due to the HUGE increase in the MBP performance.

Here is where I am coming from. I am an accountant so spending money were a return isn't realized is against what I believe in. Therefore, I planned to buy the base 27" version. So many times before this refresh I was tempted to buy the base 3.6ghz dual core that was available. I am still a fan of a high clock speed because it makes a difference in daily single and dual core tasks. However, I waited mainly due to most on this forum stating I would regret it and the upgraded processors were going to be substantially better.

Let's compare the benchmarks:

32 bit

3.6ghz dual core (last year) - 7,000 average

2.7 quad core (sandy bridge) - 7950

64 bit

3.6ghz dual core (last year) - 7,745

2.7 quad core (sandy bridge) - 8625

Is this really a substantial jump? You take away clock speed (even though you do have turbo boost to 3.7) and add two cores and you get less than a 1,000 point increase.

2. Diesel-Benz macrumors member

You are wrong.

You actually have MORE clock speed.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

A) You shouldn't base everything on the benchmarks.

B) Look at it this way. The base 27" is still the same cost as it was last week. But now you have a performance increase. I can understand being a little down that the performance wasn't as high as you expected, but unless you lost money by waiting, it's still a win.

4. drew.bowser, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

drew.bowser macrumors regular

The base 27" last week was a 3.2 ghz i3... You sure your details are right?

the base i3 was 5900+ 32 bit and 6650+ 64 bit (geekbench scores)

5950 to 7950 32 bit
    6650 to 8625 64 bit

for the same price seems like a nice upgrade to me.

NOW there was an upgrade from the 3.2 i3 to a 3.6 i5 dual...if I remember correctly.

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

In addition to "only" a 1000 point increase in a synthetic benchmark that isn't indicative of any real world usage that an accountant would encounter, you get a processor that generates less heat plus other things.

In other words, it's a good upgrade that you don't need to feel disappointed with.

6. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

I stand corrected, drew. You are correct.