Pretty disturbing meeting at work today.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, May 23, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Today something happened in meeting that I found to be pretty disturbing...

It was a monthly departmental meeting, and there were basically two parts. The first part were routine updates, the second part was to present an award to our department head for a service anniversary.

After the updates were done, the "second in command" gave the award to the department head...It was really nothing more than a small plaque commemorating "X" number of years of service. It was at this point that things got really, really strange...

Each senior staff member gave a presentation, complete with powerpoint slides, that basically outlined why they think this person is so great. Each presenter also verbally expressed tons of adulation, and praise some even going so far as to denounce publicly former employees who had left the group because they did not agree with this persons managerial style.

It didn't end there. One of her senior staff members even put together a game that centered around this persons personal life and her professional accomplishments.

I, and a few others were actually shocked and left speechless. by all of this. A few even commented that heaping that much praise and adulation on someone is really just not normal.

I'm still a little stunned by all of it. In 15 years of working in the field I am in I have never, ever encountered such large amount of ass kissing (may as well call it what it is)...Previous boss's I have worked for would have been embarrassed, and probably angered by all of this, but this person basically ate all this up..

Has anyone else ever seen this???

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

All the time. Try working in your government some time. It like a fiefdom in a lot of programs.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

soon it will be your turn to do the *** kissing ... hope you learned some pointers

seriously though ... call in sick next time

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

oh man...Seriously, I just don't think I have it in me, and if I had direct reports, I would be fairly angry if they did that to me...

I wish I could have videotaped what went on, I just really can't convey how bad it was. It was seriously pretty bad....It was almost like she was royalty.

Im actually really very disturbed by the whole thing.

5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I once experienced something which wasn't even remotely close to that, and left the meeting in protest with a few others.

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Did you stay long enough to get to play the game?

7. Abstract, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm sure words can't describe how bad it was in there, but it still sounds reall bad, and embarrassing for all those involved, even if you were only there to watch. :eek: How cringeworthy.

I don't have a similar story, but I do have a friend who got really into photography a few years ago, and now he's about to hold some massive exhibition. I don't have a problem with his success. I have a problem with this situation because he's not good. :p There's no nice way to say it. On a good day, he's an average DSLR shooter. The only aspect of his photography I'm jealous of is all his equipment.

He started this photography project a few years ago, and it was a great idea. The photos weren't great though, and this is where the cringeworthy amount of praise stemmed from. He's also a good friend of mine, so I get his Facebook messages everytime someone comments on one of his photos. For some of his photos, he'll get dozens of replies. It's like he feeds of praise from his friends, which is unfortunate because it isn't subjective praise. Every one of his other friends (and their parents) just heap so much praise every time he posts anything, and I just can't bear it. :eek: It happens ALL the time, and yet I don't want to block his Facebook updates because he's a good friend.

I'm quite sure it's no jealousy on my part because one of the best photographers I know is another friend of mine. People also give him lots of praise, and I totally understand why they would.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

These people are obviously not busy enough in their actual job.

Time to thin the herd.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

10. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I feel a little depressed now. I can't think of anything in my life which is interesting enough to turn into a game I could play with colleagues. My life must be really dull :(

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was going to say the same. Sounds like people with a lot of time on their hands.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Plenty of times, and not necessarily for someone of importance within the company.

Pretty much universally, though, this type of adulation is shown to someone who is well-liked within the company.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To this degree? And at an official meeting? I haven't seen this yet.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I wonder if they do this at Wal*Fart?

Those people are crazy, and make the Japanese rah-rah guys appear timid.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, and toward the end of an official company meeting. Like I said, they do it for people they like, not necessarily those above them in the pecking order.

Specifically, I've seen slideshows (photos set to music), acting skits, gag and/or "real" gifts given, and even a game played (a bingo-ish type of game). These were done by employees as a group; not a round table of individuals showering praise because they were told to.

16. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Sounds like an episode of "The Office"... lmao :D