Pretty dumb question from a longtime iPhone user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amirite, Aug 29, 2009.

1. amirite macrumors 6502a

I've had an iPhone 2G and 3G, been using iPhones for 2 years. I've never needed to unlock until I left the country and wanted to use a SIM card from that country. Now I'm back in my home country... will my iPhone 3G be "bricked" if I upgrade to 3.1 (when its released) while its unlocked?
    If so, how can I un-unlock?

2. SashaFierce Guest

SashaFierce

No, it is now impossible to actually brick your phone. Just restore before you update and that will "Lock" the phone back up.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yeah, you'll lose your unlock and jailbreak when you upgrade, but it won't brick. Be aware, however, that before you upgrade to the 3.1 firmware you will need to extract two files from your iPod that can only be extracted during the restore process if you hope ever to unlock or jailbreak it. The iPhone Dev team says that these files will be necessary for jailbreak starting with 3.1.

4. amirite thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean? :confused:

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Sorry, this applies only to 3GS, not 3G. My mistake.

But for 3GS owners, before you upgrade to 3.1, be sure to follow the instructions at http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4400. If you do not extract your phone's iBEC and iBSS files before upgrading to 3.1, it is likely that in the near future you will not be able to unlock or jailbreak.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Sorry. After a year of Mac ownership, I've recently started assuming that everyone else has a Mac, too. :p

8. LAS22 macrumors regular